Date: 11/9/18 1:56 pm
From: Kelly Alfrey via Groups.Io <kellybalfrey=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Please help us protect bird habitat along the Guadalupe River and Ulistac Natural Area
Hello Birders,
I know this is already starting to be discussed on here, but below is some more information on the Tasman East Specific Plan from SCVAS Environmental Advocate, Shani Kleinhaus. We need your help!
On Tuesday, Nov 13, the City of Santa Clara is likely to approve the Tasman East Specific Plan that will permit the construction of 20-story towers adjacent to the Guadalupe River. This plan will devastate populations of migratory birds on the Guadalupe River flyway, and at the Ulistac Natural Area. Please help us communicate to City Council that we love Ulistac - a magnet for migratory birds, and ask them not to make decisions that will inevitably harm birds and wildlife.
With over 40 acres included in the plan area, the City of Santa Clara can create a well-designed, transit-oriented development and mixed-use neighborhood at the 40+ acre area of Tasman East, while at the same time providing a river park that complements Ulistac Natural Area and protects our birds from harm. The way to do this is to provide a tree-rich river park, and to set tall buildings at least 300 feet away from the river.
What you can do:Please write to the Mayor and City Council of Santa Clara (<MayorAndCouncil...>)to let them know that you care. Suggested Subject Line:  Tasman East Specific Plan
Here are some talking points:
- State who you are (especially if you are a resident of Santa Clara) and why you care (your engagement with Ulistac Natural Area, and your love for parks and for birds). Tell Mayor Gillmor and City Council members that you love the birds along the Guadalupe River and at Ulistac and wish that the Council would protect birds and keep them from harm.

- Ask the Mayor and Council to provide a park along the Guadalupe River that is specifically designed to complement the river and Ulistac Natural Area. Ask for trees!

- Tell them that it should not be  acceptable to kill birds. Ask them not to make it a housing versus birds issue by making a “determination of overriding considerations” regarding hazards to birds. The City can and should require that the Tasman East Specific Plan set tall buildings at least 300 feet from the top of the levee of the Guadalupe River.

- Express that the City can create a well-designed, transit-oriented development and mixed-use neighborhood at Tasman East while also providing a river park that complements Ulistac Natural Area and protects our birds from harm.
Thank you for your support and helping protect open spaces for birds and other wildlife.
Kelly AlfreySCVAS Education and Outreach ManagerCupertino, CA