Date: 11/8/18 12:27 pm
From: Steve Compton <scompton1251...>
Subject: Re: Could this be the year?
Merrill,
I think I have only seen Evening Grosbeaks in SC once: in a Christmas
bird count in Mount Pleasant. About 1980.
Steve Compton Greenville,SC
Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE DroidOn 8 Nov 2018 3:07 pm, "J. Merrill
Lynch" <carolinabirds...> wrote:

Birders,
Some of you probably weren’t even born yet when evening
grosbeaks were annual winter visitors to the Carolinas, often in
large numbers. The last ones I recall seeing in NC were in Apex
(where I lived at the time) back in the mid-late ‘90’s.
Since then the irruptions in our area have essentially ended and
the species has declined significantly across much of its
primarily Canadian breeding grounds.
There are indications that this winter has potential for at least
a few birds to make it to our area. There have already been a
number of reports in the northeast as far south as Maryland.
So keep your eyes and ears open!
Merrill
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/this-could-be-the-winter-you-get-evening-grosbeaks-at-your-feeder/

Merrill LynchEcho Valley FarmWatauga County, NCSent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!