Date: 11/7/18 3:26 pm
From: Karen And Jim Rowe <00000131a1cf8fbc-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Whooping Crane
The location of the bird was disclosed at the recommendation of wildlife officers in the area as well as wildlife biologists and local residents. I have and continue to be in daily contact with the Louisiana crane biologists.

With deer season opening this weekend, it was thought that the crane was safer with many eyes as well as binoculars, spotting scopes and photographers’ lens on it, than if its location were just known to locals. It is highly visible from the road but very wary of humans and, as we witnessed today, wary of bald eagles.

County residents, county ne’er do wells, ethical hunters, idiot shooters, bird lovers and non birders were and continue to be well aware of its presence. In the short time I was there today I visited with at least 8 different cars and trucks of folks that live in the area and they said they were glad there were extra eyes to watch over “their” big white bird. The landowner, his farm hands and county officers regularly patrol the bird’s area both during the day, dusk, dawn and at night. Interesting and important to note the time and effort these non-birders are giving to this crane’s protection 24/7.

Karen Rowe, AGFC

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 7, 2018, at 2:44 PM, Bob Harden <flutterbybob...> wrote:
>
> In that light it would have been better to have erred on the side of caution....yet the location was posted yesterday and has several Ebird sightings
>
>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 2:29 PM David Ray <cardcards...> wrote:
>> Well Bob, you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> > On Nov 7, 2018, at 2:19 PM, John Dillon <kisforkryptonite...> wrote:
>> >
>> > The Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries STRONGLY discourages people from sharing location of Whooping Cranes because people shoot them each year. It would be more responsible if we put the birds first.
>> >

>> > John Dillon
>> > Athens, LA
>> >
>> > Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!