Date: 11/7/18 12:45 pm
Subject: Re: Watauga County egret
I have just looked through the various photos I have taken of
Intermediate Egrets in Kenya, Thailand, and Australia. The gape in my
photos always stops below the eye and looks just like the gape in the
Watauga bird. When I compare them to the Great Egret photos I have
from NC and Kenya, there is clearly a difference. The gape in the
latter species always extend behind the eye, though not always the
same distance.

The problem is that I have seen so many Great Egrets in NC without
having really looked closely at their gapes that I have no sense of
the variability they might show. So I took a quick look through a
dozen or so photos of October/November Great Egrets on the Carolina
Bird Club website. All the ones that are clear enough show gapes
extending well behind the eye.

The Intermediate ID looks possible!

Norm

--