Date: 11/7/18 9:29 am
From: Steve Loitz <steveloitz...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Eric K., Binocular Advice
EL 8.5x42 is excellent glass, but I suggest anyone thinking about spending
$2K on bins look through them and competing alpha bins (e.g., Zeiss FL,
Leica Ultravid) before buying. Specifically, check out the difference re
Swaro's field flattening at the edges vs. Zeiss and Leica. Personally, my
eyes prefer Zeiss FL. Also, to my eye Zeiss does a bit better with CA
correction, although that is splitting hairs. All Big 3 alpha bins have
excellent optics. Also, check out warranties and consumers' reports re
warranties. (IME, Zeiss and Nikon are the best re warranties and customer
service, Leica the worst.)

Finally, check out the Cornell binocular tests and allbinos.com

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 9:12 AM James Ullrich <jimullrich...> wrote:

> Hello Tweets:
> In reference to Eric’s request, I recommend the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 as the
> best on the market.
> Arguably the last binocular you will ever need to buy again, it is so good.
> Only advice is to never buy online, but always go to a local reputable
> dealer like Wild Birds Unlimited in Gardiner, WA. They have the EL 8.5x 42
> and other Top End binocs in stock. Call 360-797-7100 on availability.
> You always want to try out whatever you buy, put it to your face and work
> with the ergonomics of the particular brand you are testing. If you buy
> online, one never knows what may be shipped to you. Just ask USA Swarovski,
> Zeiss or KOWA and they will educate you on the “grey market”, of stolen or
> remanufactured binocs on the web.
> Yours for the Birds n’ the Bees
> Jim Ullrich
>
> Sent from my iPhone