Date: 11/7/18 8:27 am
From: Jimhardman <jhardman43...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Interesting Eagle sighting from Harney County
You reminded me, A few years back a friend and I were birding in Death Valley when a couple of those repeatedly buzzed our car near ground level out in the desert and gave us a private air show for over a half an hour - they would fly straight at our car and then circle over us and shoot off for a canyon, fly into it and then come out in a spiraling vertical climb over the mountains and then roll and turn and line up on our car and come back , doing this repeatedly. - Jim Hardman

It makes sense that birders would observe so many of these jets since we spend so much time in the field. I will add that this jet did a barrel roll as it came out of Little Blitzen gorge and flew over the Steens summit, disappeared over the Alvord desert, and came back low over my head as it entered Big Indian gorge.

If only birds would cooperate so well for photos.

And the final word. Since this sparked so many memories and one of mine own.

While working for FWS as the wildlife refuge manager at French Frigate Shoals, 500 Miles NW of Honolulu, I had a serious issue with two jets flying repeatedly low over the islands restricted air space spooking 50,000 seabirds off the island. Repeated radio calls to the jets did not help much, as they dodged albatross, frigate birds, terns, noddies tropicbirds and boobies.

Then I found out the cause of the low flights. The pilots were taking photos of my wife and another biologist nude sunbathing on the little beach we had! The ladies were assigned kitchen duties for the rest of their career on the island. Photos were posted on the aircraft carrier.

Sent from my iPhone
Rick Vetter <cotingas...> Phone 5415892230.
“Even the worst handwritten notes are better than the best memory or technology”
Sergej Postupalsky, eagle researcher