Date: 11/6/18 1:32 pm
From: <badgerboy...>
Subject: Re: Cattle Egret Watauga County Deep Gap area
After going back and watching the bird through the scope for a while the
bird stretched out its neck which was too long for Cattle Egret. So I
changed the report to a Great Egret which is also quite unusual for the
date and place, but not quite as strange as the Cattle Egret. Thanks to
Jelmer Poelstra for providing timely feedback and Al Olson for getting a
second pair of eyes on the bird.

Sorry for the confusion,  Guy McGrane, Deep Gap, NC

On 11/6/2018 11:30 AM, <badgerboy...> wrote:
> Just saw a Cattle Egret while walking the dog on the little pond at
> Birdseye View on Ben Miller Rd. in Deep Gap, Watauga County. This
> appears to be only the 2nd report of that species for the county, and
> first since the 1970's, and also for the entire High Country region,
> consisting of Alleghany, Ashe, Watauga, and Avery Counties.
>
> This strong front with southerly winds, appears to have blown a few
> unusual birds into the mountains as a flock of 5 Great Egrets was
> reported yesterday from the county, also very unusual for this time of
> year.
>
> Anyone can see pictures of the Cattle Egret on my ebird checklist at:
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ebird.org_view_checklist_S49716621&d=DwICaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=uf9xkHalhQkgQxzk8edb-BEUfjl31-bxS9Y5tlKMAbI&s=8RiJ6oqsGVaju9Zd76VulGY4MH9W886yHrdYtRGX4mg&e=
>

> Guy McGrane, Deep Gap, NC

Join us on Facebook!