Date: 11/4/18 2:36 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (03 Nov 2018) 179 Raptors

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (5): Hillary Hunter, Jim Balint, George Graham, Sue McLaughlin
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Cloudy - Mostly Sunny (75-25% cloud cover), Ceiling - 11,900-30,000
ft., Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 49 - 56F, Winds WNW @ 15 - 25 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (92) and Turkey Vultures (90).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ Last night intense storms swept through. The strong winds
were still a part of what we were left with today. Hawks and vultures were
moving, especially early. Turkey Vultures were as evident as I can
remember. The surrounding meadow, loaded with goldenrod, continues to
produce many passerines. Sue was out to “pay off” her bet she lost. Wait
to you see the bottle of Wild Turkey she gave me!
<BR><BR>
We identified 48 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, American
Kestrel, Merlin, COMMON RAVEN, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Palm Warbler,
White-crowned Sparrow, Pine Siskin, and Purple Finch. Nothing new for this
year’s “hawk watch area” species list was seen. [142 species for the
season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
COMMON RAVEN, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Palm Warbler, White-crowned Sparrow,
Pine Siskin, and Purple Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (1): Orange Sulphur. Dragonflies
(0). Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (1): Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.08; Steps: 9,143; Floors: 31.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 48; this season: 142
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):” nothing.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks mostly sunny with just a few clouds and light
winds
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: