Date: 11/1/18 9:20 am
From: Daniel Mason <millipede1977...>
Subject: Hummingbird food
Hopefully I'll send out a few more emails today. I've got another
question that's longer than this and some thoughts to share. For the
moment, I'm curious about native plants for hummingbirds this time of year.
I see a lot of people discussing their feeders they put up. I love
watching hummingbirds but, I can't put up feeders because I struggle
with putting things off and I am certain I would not be cleaning them
near as often as people recommend. And there could be days it might be
left empty...  It wouldn't work out well.
We do have japanese honeysuckle here and there... unintentionally of
course. And we have trumpet flowers that they seem to enjoy. We get
hummingbirds in the yard every year and in some years I've even sat here
and watched courtship displays. So, I think they like my yard. :)
I think some birds get used to feeders so much that they expect them.
Sometimes we'll have hummers fly up to our windows and spend a few
moments looking in... day after day. Are they really just checking out
their reflection? I watch them and think they're trying to get our
attention, wondering where a feeder is. I know I've seen birds on our
actual feeders looking in the house when it's empty. I think they have
some vague idea of what's going on. :)

Anyway... with that said, I have plans to put more native plants in the
yard to attract different things and hummingbirds, of course, are on the
list. So with all the migrants still lingering, something I've wondered
from year to year is, are there any native plants I could grow that
would give hummingbirds a wild and natural food source THIS time of
year? Or during the winter even?
I know witch hazel has an odd blooming time but I'm not sure if they're
a food source for them. But is there anything else that might bloom in
the cooler months that hummers like? Especially anything native.

Daniel Mason