Date: 10/31/18 4:32 am
From: Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: Re: CNN: This is the 'last generation' that can save nature, WWF says
ARBIRD list is hosted by the University of Arkansas, a public institution where hopefully a broad range of opinion is honored. I think Kim Smith’s original thinking in sponsoring the list was that it focus pretty exclusively on birds, but not to the exclusion of broad thinking -- which after all is a rather noble aspect of a University. But without partisanship. For very practical reasons, no Arkansas tax payer should be required to pay for my partisan views, despite the fact that I am at least 100% certain I am right about what I think. Aren’t we all? There are for sure Democrat, Republican, and and Independent birders, but I can tell you from experience we are all birders when trying for a look or a photo of that Sharp-tailed Sandpiper. Then, “We are all birders” just like I hear politicos say, “We are all Americans.” I am a totally partisan person, just go to my facebook page and check it out. But I suspect my partisanship is only part of the broader picture, or as my conservative Christian Dad used to say, “It takes 2 to tango.” I suspect that is true in a healthy democracy, too. Sticking as closely as possible to birds is why ARBIRD endures.