Date: 10/29/18 7:10 pm
From: uphawkeye <uphawkeye...>
Subject: [ia-bird] IOU Field Trip: Mississippi River - Pool 13 (Not a sighting)
Join the IOU Events Committee for a Mississippi River birding adventure as
we make a loop around Pool 13 (which is the "lake" above Lock & Dam 13,
positioned between the towns of Fulton, IL Thomson, IL, Savanna, IL,
Sabula, IA and Clinton, IA).

The waterfowl migration should be in full swing, and Pool 13 is a great
place to find them in abundance! All of the regular Iowa waterfowl could
potentially be present, including over-wintering Tundra Swans. Will we find
scoters, Long-tailed Ducks, loons, or grebes? You never know! Bald Eagles
could be abundant around Lock and Dam 13, as well as gulls, possibly even
pelicans and cormorants. Our focus will primarily be on the water, but
there is also forest (riparian and on the bluffs), wetland, grassland, and
sand prairie habitats to find passerines and raptors in. There is a good
chance of getting at least six woodpecker species, including Red-headed and
Pileated.

Meet the group by 8:00 AM in the southwest corner of the Hy-Vee parking lot
in Clinton, IA (901 S 4th St). As soon as the carpooling is arranged the
caravan will leave the parking lot, so try not to be late. This is a free
event, but you MUST register in advance on the IOU website, so we know how
many people to expect. Depending on our luck with the birds, the trip
around Pool 13 should take until at least noon, but should probably last a
bit longer. It will be done by 2:00 PM at the latest.

We all would prefer to keep our independence and autonomy, but carpooling
is going to be IMPERATIVE for this event. We can't have an unwieldy string
of 8-10-12 cars, for many reasons, safety being chief among them.
Carpooling will be very highly encouraged, maybe even just short of
mandatory, so please come prepared to share a ride.

Come and experience the majesty of the Mississippi!

I hope to see you there!!!

IOU Events Committee:
Eric Ollie
Denny Thompson