Date: 10/29/18 5:22 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Larid brush up
I think I saw most of those birds yesterday at Yachats. See notes below IN CAPS.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

> * I think Gull A (pink legs, dirty head, light iris and mantle color) is a straight forward adult winter Herring Gull and J is typical for Western. B and H seem good for Cal Gulls (leg color and size.)

> AGREE. I THINK E IS A HERRING, TOO. F LOOKS LIKE A SUBADULT WESTERN. G LOOKS LIKE LARUS UNFORTUNATUS, A STANDARD “OLYMPIC.” C MIGHT BE AN OLYMPIC TOO BUT IS PRETTY CLOSE TO A STANDARD G-WING. EXPERTS MAY OFFER MORE THAN I CAN ON THAT ONE.

D IS NOT A GLAUCOUS AND I’D GUESS HAS A LOT OF HERRING IN IT. IT IS STRANGELY PLAIN (UNPATTERNED) FOR A HERRING BUT AS IT SEEMS TO BE A 2Y PERHAPS IT IS SIMPLY WORN. I THINK NELSON’S WOULD BE PALER AND NOT SO BROWNISH, BUT I’LL DEFER THAT ONE TO THE TRUE LARIPHILES ON THE LIST.

> On Oct 29, 2018, at 5:02 PM, ed mcv <ed.mcvicker...> wrote:
>
> I hope this isn't too much of a sleep aid for the insomniacs among us. I'm stepping beyond my gull ID comfort level trying to brush up my skills for winter gull watching and would appreciate confirmation or correction from anyone still awake. I've tagged 9 birds <https://www.flickr.com/photos/10665268@N04/albums/72157699728430852> in one photo taken along Ocean View Dr. in Yachats last week. I think there are three species (California*, Herring* & Western*) and a couple of Olympic type hybrids pictured.
>
> I was most curious about Gull D and initially called it an immature Glaucous Gull based on bill size & coloration, overall light appearance (especially the head) and size/bulk compared to Gull E - what I thought an adult Herring Gull (pink legs, light eye & mantle color.) Then I noticed D's dark shading of the wings and, after a bit of research, feel it's most likely a first cycle Herring Gull. However, that bill just looks so Glaucous Gull and in the close up photo of D & E <https://www.flickr.com/photos/10665268@N04/43804603350/in/photostream/>, I'm wondering if the size difference, lighter head and longer wings-beyond-tail suggest the possibility of a Glaucous x Herring (Nelson's Gull)? I'm way out of my element here so any comments would be welcome.
>
> I included a third photo <https://www.flickr.com/photos/10665268@N04/30681121477/in/photostream/> of a flyby gull that looked interesting. Might that be a Thayer's/Iceland Gull?
>
> Happy winter,
> Ed McVicker
> SW Portland