Date: 10/27/18 11:22 am
From: Dave Compton <davcompton60...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Tropical Kingbirds (and Swamp Sparrow) at Andree Clark Bird Refuge
I spent some time at the Bird Refuge in Santa Barbara this morning, looking
for the bird reported as a possible Couch's Kingbird. There are photos of
this bird in eBird, here:

https://ebird.org/spain/view/checklist/S49479801

Ron Hirst was present when I arrived, and he pointed a kingbird out to me
near the first platform, but closer to the railroad tracks, that did not
look like the bird in the above checklist. The bird Ron pointed out clearly
had a more ragged tail tip than this bird and lacked that shorter tail
feather growing in on the bird's right side. It also seemed to have a
subtly slimmer, rather long bill, and appeared to be an adult, based on the
evenly fresh greater coverts. I later saw this bird near where I believe
the possible Couch's was yesterday, in a fallen tree just west of the
second viewing platform as you walk west from the parking lot. After a
couple of minutes, this bird disappeared, and I heard a Tropical Kingbird
calling back in the direction of the first sighting. As I walked back, I
saw two large-billed kingbirds on Myoprum on the first (more easterly)
island. One then flew back to shore and was calling frequently. This bird
had the same short feather on the right side of its tail that you can see
in the photos in the above checklist. The call it gave, very persistently,
was the typical twitter of a Tropical Kingbird.

I can't speak to what was heard yesterday, but the description of the
call's "cadence" suggests that it was not the "kip" call of a Couch's that
is so distinct from any call of a Tropical. So I wonder if the call
might've been the same one I heard, and the same one Cuyler Stapleman
recorded a couple of days ago. Anyway, I'm pretty confident that there are
two Tropical Kingbirds here, and that neither bird I saw was a Couch's.

While birding near the second (middle) platform, I also heard, and then saw
poorly, a Swamp Sparrow that was perching up and moving from shrub to
shrub, before disappearing near the shore by the second platform.

Dave Compton
Santa Barbara

View/Reply Online (#27849): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/27849
-=-=-