Date: 10/26/18 3:29 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Shorts Brown's Ferry Park Bird Walk
*SALEM AUDUBON SOCIETY BROWN'S FERRY PARK SHORT*

*OCTOBER 25, 2018*

*SUMMARY:*

This is a day that was destined to have rain and we missed it! Six Salem
and Keizer birders joined this 3rd SAS Fall SHORT. This was a 2 mile, 2
hour bird walk starting in the parking area, meandering counterclockwise to
end at the historical barn near the kayak rental business.

Lots to admire here with the habitat being exposed to heavy flooding in the
past. Effort has been made to plant natives in the established natural
area 2/3rds of the way through the park. There are multiple foot bridges
over drainage areas. This park is a pearl in the middle of suburbia with
immediate access to the natural world. We passed the viewing blind(now
obstructed by heavy growth) and the sculpture near the main road, scoping
at the pond that has a fence line of Douglas Spirea, Oregon Grape, with fir
and deciduous and snag trees that attract Osprey and other raptors to
perch. Here the light is from behind us and one can always have great study
of ducks. (In the past Eurasian Wigeon, Cinnamon Teal, Hooded Mergansers,
and Green Heron hunting for frogs). Nest boxes for Bats and Wood Ducks are
seen along the *river trail*. We enjoyed talking with a local birder who
does census once a week here, and provides hours as a Friend of Tualatin
River National Wildlife Refuge, located 5-6 miles from Brown's Ferry.

Brown's Ferry Park is named from the first person to establish a ferry
business in Tualatin. The habitat has a history of high water and flooding,
with 1996 being remarkable to many today, and noted on signage. It is
maintained and nurtured for wildlife and specific signage guards against
feeding wildlife at all.

Other close points of wetland access include the also-close Tualatin
Greenway extended river walk, located by reconnoitering out of the park to
Cabella's building and walking between structures toward the river. There
are also ponds located off 90th and Sherwood-Tualatin Rd, across from the
USPS. Don't miss all these wetland spots when visiting the area.

*HIGHLIGHTS:*

We missed Wood Duck and Cinnamon Teal recently seen. We had great looks at
a posing WILSON'S SNIPE at the pond opposite bank and reeds with NORTHERN
SHOVELER, AMERICAN WIGEON, GADWALL pairs, and diving RING-NECKED DUCK,
MALLARD, and GREEN-WINGED TEAL.

GREAT EGRETS majestically flushed upward in the marshy area across the road.

Osprey have departed, but with all eyes and ears of the group we had
flyovers of 1 NORTHERN PINTAIL, 1 DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT, AND 1 GREAT
BLUE HERON at the River.

We had a 3 woodpecker morning with DOWNY, and a vocal PILEATED WOODPECKER
toward the far end of the natural area, and RED-SHAFTED FLICKER. We missed
Red-breasted Sapsucker. We know they are here.

Raptors included 1 RED-TAILED HAWK, 1 AMERICAN KESTREL, and an ACCIPITER SP
that got away.

The mammal that brought a lot of attention and joy was the good look and
vocals of a DOUGLAS SQUIRREL. We enjoyed its unique call, its distinctly
smaller size, small ears, and its reddish belly. Here it is doing well in
the woods of suburbia among its larger and more aggressive cousins.

*SPECIES IDENTIFIED ON THIS SHORT WALK:*

39 species (+2 other taxa)

Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) (Branta canadensis moffitti/maxima) 2
Northern Shoveler (Spatula clypeata) 12
Gadwall (Mareca strepera) 8
American Wigeon (Mareca americana) 7
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 5
Northern Pintail (Anas acuta) 1 Flyover
Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca) 2
Ring-necked Duck (Aythya collaris) 6
Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps) 2
Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna) 1

Wilson's Snipe (Gallinago delicata) 1
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus) 1 Flyover.
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 1
Great Egret (Ardea alba) 2 In the wetland directly across from parking
drive in.
Accipiter sp. (Accipiter sp.) 1
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) 1
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) 1
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) 1
Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus) 1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) 3
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) (Colaptes auratus [cafer Group]) 1

American Kestrel 1

Steller's Jay (Cyanocitta stelleri) 4
California Scrub-Jay (Aphelocoma californica) 1
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 2
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 22 26
Red-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta canadensis) 8
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 1 In parking lot dryer
stand of willow.
Brown Creeper (Certhia americana) 1
Bewick's Wren (Thryomanes bewickii) 2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula) 7
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 5
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 12
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) 2
Lesser Goldfinch (Spinus psaltria) 3
Fox Sparrow (Sooty) (Passerella iliaca [unalaschcensis Group]) 2
Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) (Junco hyemalis [oreganus Group]) 4
Golden-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia atricapilla) 2
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 3
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 4
Brewer's Blackbird (Euphagus cyanocephalus) 2

To all thank you for joining.

Barbara Dolan

*FUTURE EVENTS BY SAS:*

*The CHRISTMAS BIRD COUNT Tips and Techniques Workshop by Mike Unger is on
this Saturday, October 27, from 10:00 AM to 12:00 NOON at the Oregon
Department of Fish and Wildlife on Fairview Industrial Way in Salem. It is
open to anyone, all levels of skill and experience welcome. It is also an
opportunity to get to know the Salem Count Circle and sign up. *

*Minto-Brown Field Trip is Sunday, November 4th at 8:00 AM. Watch the "set
the clocks back".*

*Ankeny National Wildlife Refuge Field Trip is Wednesday, November 14, 8:00
AM.*

*The Salem Christmas Bird Count is Saturday, December 15,*

*Join us if you can.*

Join us on Facebook!