Date: 10/26/18 7:33 am
From: Craig Repasz via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Northeast Region NWR proposed Boardwalk at Stewart B McKinney Great Meadow Stratford
From Andy French:

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the construction of a visitor boardwalk on the Great Meadows Unit (GMU) of the Stewart B. McKinney National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) in Stratford, CT. We agree this type of project would benefit people of the Bridgeport area and beyond, as they look for ways to better connect with nature and the outdoors.

The GMU boardwalk project was under consideration by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) for funding during fiscal year 2018, which ended September 30th. However, the project was not selected for funding due to the very limited amount available and the very competitive nature of projects submitted for this limited opportunity within the Region.

The GMU boardwalk project is an intriguing and seemingly very beneficial project and we strongly suggest that an innovative approach to finding a way to fund the project be considered. As such, I have asked Rick Potvin, Refuge Manager at Stewart B. McKinney NWR, to reach out to you and others to organize a meeting this fall regarding this project. There are many ways in which you can collaborate with him and others to give the project additional resolution and specificity for a partnership approach. Further, there may be outside grants available which could be combined with federal funds from the Service. Perhaps volunteers could contribute in-kind services such as preliminary engineering work and project cost estimates as matches for a grant submission. You should expect to be contacted by Rick Potvin to discuss possible funding and implementation strategies in an effort to move this concept toward a reality as a community based asset.

If you or others have questions, comments, or a desire to become involved, please contact Rick Potvin at 860-399-2513 or via e-mail at <Richard_Potvin...> Once we have a more detailed project proposal, we can better engage the public and other stakeholders and consider a range of viable alternatives to making this project a reality.

Thank you again for your interest in the Stewart B. McKinney NWR. We look forward to working with you and other stakeholders on this project.

Andrew C. French, Project Leader
Silvio O. Conte National Fish and Wildlife Refuge
Stewart B. McKinney National Wildlife Refuge
John Hay National Wildlife Refuge
103 East Plumtree Road, Sunderland, MA 01375
Cell: (413) 313-8682 Fax: (413) 548-9725