Date: 10/25/18 8:48 pm
From: Jamie Chavez <almiyi...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] eBird Breeding Bird Data (was New County eBird Reviewers Announcement)
I wanted to reply to Cuyler's comment below because it deserves some
follow-up. Cuyler has found a good way to mine the information but I must
disagree with the statement that, "Breeding bird data is probably the most
valuable information eBird has to offer". This might be true IF the data
were vetted but sadly it is not. eBirders can plug-in any breeding bird
code they wish to at any time of the year for any species. Try opening a
personal list in January and see how you can make an edit to enter "Nest
with Eggs" for any species on your list. That is just beyond stupid.

Review of BB data in checklists is not a function (currently) of the eBird
review process, therefore, 99.9% of all breeding bird code entries ever
entered have never been scrutinized for accuracy. I've seen all sorts of
incorrect uses of BB codes. Since this data is not available as an output
tool it doesn't really matter, but I've never understood why eBird would
permit this if there wasn't a mechanism in place to validate what people
are entering. If they ever do start using this gold mine it needs to be
cleaned in a major way first.

Jamie Chavez
Santa Maria, CA

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 2:27 PM Cuyler Stapelmann <
<cuylerstapelmann...> wrote:

> Breeding bird data is probably the most valuable information eBird has to
> offer to the consulting world, but it is not easy to access. I am
> interested to know if anyone has any insights. Thanks.
>
> Cuyler

SB_,_

--
Jamie M. Chavez