Date: 10/25/18 2:54 pm
From: Dave Compton <davcompton60...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] Goleta Thursday
As for breeding by stilts, or what's been documented of breeding by any
other species in the county, one need not wonder. I'm sure, after the many
emails by Mark Holmgren promoting this tool and asking people to
contribute, you all know about this site:

https://fusiontables.google.com/DataSource?docid=1KA8NNkMXi9v6449FM9Pi50-OgAuDXu4h5I9lKKXz#rows:id=1

The quickly assembled table below includes Goleta breeding records for
Black-necked Stilt going back to 1993. Hopefully, it's readable for most
people.

Dave Compton
Santa Barbara

5407
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.423614
-119.832224
2
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
4
2017 May 12
Levasheff, D.
Fledgling under Parental Care
Mother and 3-4 fresh chicks seen on the center pond berm and in the water

Nests had been observed in the north pond on 25-Apr-17.

https://goo.gl/6KcqLU
5254
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.42394
-119.85094
15
Goleta Slough, Area L and M
1
2017 May 10
Holmgren, M.
Fledgling under Parental Care
Chick with 1" bill being tended by adults

in NW corner of Area M
S36721649
5023
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.41539
-119.87502

Goleta, Devereux Slough
2
2017 Apr 20
O'Loghlen, A.
Adult at Nest (clarify)
M & F tending nest
Salicornia

Nielsen, J. present

3825
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.42409
-119.83207
5
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
0
2016 Jul 15
Bevier, L.
Fledgling under Parental Care
Several fledglings, including some small chicks about 1/4 grown (2) and
some nearly as large as adults (2), and others in-between (2)

range of fledgling ages on this date
S30816828
4729
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.42369
-119.83167
90
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
4
2015 Apr 24
van Dam, W.
No Suitable Category
2 chicks

Observer
4478
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.4236941
-119.8316738
90
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
4
2014 Apr 23
van Dam, W.
Fledgling under Parental Care
4 chicks

0

observer
2901
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.41532
-119.8755844
200
Goleta, Devereux Slough
2
2010 Jun 27
Lethaby, N.
Fledgling with Presumed Parent
2 fledglings

observer
2902
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.4125
-119.8766329
100
Goleta, Devereux Slough
2
2010 Jun 27
Lethaby, N.
No suitable category
1 large chick

observer
2903
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.413
-119.8766329
100
Goleta, Devereux Slough
2
2010 Jun 27
Lethaby, N.
No suitable category
4 smallish chicks

observer
2904
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.4135
-119.8766329
100
Goleta, Devereux Slough
2
2010 Jun 27
Lethaby, N.
No suitable category
2 medium-sized chicks

observer
2893
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.4146516
-119.8757355
300
Goleta, Devereux Slough
2
2010 Jun 26
Lethaby, N.
No suitable category
chicks/fledglings of 4 different ages

[Suggests 4 total breeding events here in 2010.]
observer
2886
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.4146516
-119.8757355
300
Goleta, Devereux Slough
2
2010 Jun 17
Lethaby, N.
No suitable category
2 groups of chicks

observer
2882
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.4145024
-119.8759479
250
Goleta, Devereux Slough
2
2010 Jun 14
Lethaby, N.
Nestling in Nest
4 newly hatched chicks

observer
2786
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.4245758
-119.831747
20
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
4
2010 May 14
Compton, D.
Egg in Nest
nest w/ 4 eggs
ground
0

observer
2787
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.4245869
-119.8316604
20
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
5
2010 May 14
Compton, D.
Egg in Nest
nest w/ 4 eggs
ground
0

observer
2565
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.41548
-119.8751834
100
Goleta, Devereux Slough
2
2009 May 12
Bush, M.
Egg in Nest
ad sitting on nest w/ 1+ eggs
wood plank
0

observer
2415
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.4242128
-119.8318175
0
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
5
2008 Jul 30
Compton, D.
No suitable category
2 half-size chicks

See earlier observations for this species, year, and location
observer
2183
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.42346
-119.83237
50
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
5
2008 May 22
Compton, D.
Nest in Use (clarify)
4-5 nests still active in this area

observer
2184
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.42343
-119.83209
0
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
5
2008 May 22
Compton, D.
Nestling in Nest
3 very small chicks

Probably from either the nest first observed on 15 April at this site, or
the nest first observed on 24 April
observer
2144
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.4245508
-119.8506265
10
Goleta Slough, Tecolotito Creek
1
2008 May 14
Compton, D.
Fledgling under Parental Care
newborn chick (~4 in tall, using camouflage to hide) and 2 agitated ads

Goleta Slough tidal study notes
2059
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.42342
-119.83237
20
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
5
2008 Apr 24
Compton, D.
Egg in Nest
Ad on nest w/ 3 eggs

observer
2060
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.4235
-119.832

Goleta Sanitary District Plant
5
2008 Apr 24
Compton, D.
Egg in Nest
Ad still on nest w/ 4 eggs
mud flat in sewage pond
0
See also 15 April, 22 May observations
observer
https://goo.gl/5qRdDo
2024
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.42312
-119.8315
20
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
4
2008 Apr 15
Compton, D.
Egg in Nest
Ad on nest w/ 4 eggs
mud flat in sewage pond

See also 24 April observation
observer
1929
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.42299
-119.83207
0
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
6
2007 Jul 27
Compton, D.
Fledgling with Presumed Parent
2 juvs 2/3 size of ad

observer
1265
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.4224042
-119.8312888
0
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
4
2006 Jul 25
Compton, D.
Fledgling with Presumed Parent
2 juveniles, 1/2 leg-length and 1/3 body size of adults

Observer
1266
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.4237743
-119.8312915
0
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
4
2006 Jul 25
Compton, D.
Fledgling under Parental Care
1 juvenile half adult body size

Observer
1267
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.42316
-119.8311512
0
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
4
2006 Jul 25
Compton, D.
Fledgling under Parental Care
2 juveniles of full body size, but wings not full length

Observer
1210
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.4247736
-119.8499597
10
Goleta Slough, Area E/F
1
2006 Jun 28
Compton, D.
Fledgling with Presumed Parent
2 juveniles, approx. 1/3 the height of an adult

With McDonald, B
Observer
964
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.4241
-119.8501921
0
Goleta Slough, Area L/M
1
2005 Jun 29
Compton, D.
Fledgling under Parental Care
1 approximately one-week-old chick, not recorded previously

Compton field notes, airport project for URS
871
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.4239299
-119.8501921
0
Goleta Slough, Area L/M
1
2005 Jun 1
Compton, D.
Nestling in Nest
3 very small chicks, more than 1 day old.

Compton field notes, airport project for URS
589
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.42356
-119.83162
150
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
5
2004 Jun 25
Compton, D.
Fledgling under Parental Care
2 chicks, 3/4 height of adults (8+ adults present)

See also 2 other entries for this date. Apparently, there were at least
three pairs in the area.
Compton field notes, airport project for URS
590
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.4236
-119.83162
150
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
5
2004 Jun 25
Compton, D.
Fledgling under Parental Care
1 chick, 2/3 height of adults (8+ adults present)

See also 2 other entries for this date. Apparently, there were at least
three pairs in the area.
Compton field notes, airport project for URS
591
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.4237
-119.83162
150
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
5
2004 Jun 25
Compton, D.
Fledgling under Parental Care
1 chick, <1/2 height of adults, walking unsteadily, dull gray head, mottled
brown mantle

See also 2 other entries for this date. Apparently, there were at least
three pairs in the area.
Compton field notes, airport project for URS
5828
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.42406
-119.83161
60
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
4
2002 Jun 20
Hubbard, D.
Adult at Nest (clarify)
Among 4 Stilts present was one nesting
cement on ground
0

Goleta Sanitary District 20 June 2002.doc
277
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.4232
-119.8315851
150
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
5
2001 Jul 11
Compton, D.
Fledgling under Parental Care
4 full-sized juveniles

One grown juvenile was present on 9 August. Could this be one of the four
seen previously?
Compton field notes, airport project for URS
206
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.42799
-119.8536
200
Goleta Slough, W end of Runway 7-25
2
2001 Apr 6
Ball, M.
Copulation
Copulating pair

Compton field notes, airport project for URS
CCBER Fieldnote Archive, Ball notes
5483
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.4228
-119.83142
40
Goleta Sanitary District Plant
4
1999 Jun 7
Kelly, M.
Fledgling under Parental Care
4 adults incubating, one with 4 eggs seen once she lifted off. 4 other
adults were with walking chicks.
ground

Goleta Sanitary District Ponds 7 June 1999.pdf
3312
Black-necked Stilt
BNST
34.42141
-119.84933
60
Goleta Slough, Area K
1
1993 Jul 22
Kisner, D.
Nestling in Nest
2 newly hatched young in the Salicornia islands in the hardpan.

View/Reply Online (#27839): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/27839
-=-=-
-=-=-
Group Owner: main+<owner...>