Date: 10/25/18 12:49 pm
From: eBird alert <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Little Blue Heron (3 reports)
- Ash-throated Flycatcher (1 report)
- Tropical Kingbird (4 reports)

Little Blue Heron (Egretta caerulea) (1)
- Reported Oct 25, 2018 10:39 by Donald Pendleton
- Goleta Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird. Blue gray in color, bicolor bill, similar in size as snowy egrets."

Little Blue Heron (Egretta caerulea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 24, 2018 11:00 by Hans Spiecker
- Goleta Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Comments: "Continuing - photo badly out of focus :-(, darkish blue/gray, greenish/gray legs, two tone bill dark at tip."

Little Blue Heron (Egretta caerulea) (1)
- Reported Oct 25, 2018 09:00 by Jeff Baker
- Goleta Beach Park, Goleta US-CA (34.4171,-119.8289), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.417057,-119.828884&ll=34.417057,-119.828884
- Comments: "There has been several sightings of a little blue heron in the slough where we were birding."

Ash-throated Flycatcher (Myiarchus cinerascens) (1)
- Reported Oct 24, 2018 07:55 by Guy Tingos
- Sedgwick Reserve, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.692571,-120.0405478&ll=34.692571,-120.0405478
- Comments: "Seen well. Late bird."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 24, 2018 12:21 by Cuyler Stapelmann
- Andree Clark Bird Refuge, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4215353,-119.6572856&ll=34.4215353,-119.6572856
- Comments: "The first kingbird I saw was between the zoo and the third platform; I recorded this bird vocalizing (the vocalizations are consistent with tropical, ruling out Couch's with certainty). Up until today, I have not heard vocalizations from the tropical kingbird in the handful of times I have seen it in the last month. So when the kingbird started vocalizing today, quite often and loudly, it struck me as odd. Why the change?

On my way back to the parking lot, there was another tropical kingbird in one of the sycamores between the first and second platform. I didn't think the tropical kingbird had passed by me on my walk toward the parking lot, so I began thinking there were two, but I didn't really feel like walking back to the third platform to test that hypothesis.

When I was about to get into my car, I heard tropical kingbird vocalizations emanating from the water between the parking lot and island. When I looked out with my binoculars, I saw two tropical kingbirds flying together over the water vocalizing at each other. The breasts were bright yellow, the bills were long, and the vocalizations were right for this species. The appearance of a second kingbird today may explain why they began vocalizing."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Oct 25, 2018 07:43 by Benjamin Byerly
- Campus Pt., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.404856,-119.8440063&ll=34.404856,-119.8440063
- Comments: "Entirely yellow breast up to throat, long bill, brown tail. Flycatching off rocks next to rental shed"

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 22, 2018 07:46 by Jasen Liu
- UC Santa Barbara--campus, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4148759,-119.8450041&ll=34.4148759,-119.8450041
- Comments: "Large billed kingbird with extensive yellow on underside. Seen perched in sycamores behind Ucen and in eucalyptus behind San Nicolas Hall."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Oct 24, 2018 07:54 by Mark Holmgren
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Comments: "34.417476, -119.875353 - Kingbird with yellow belly/chest up to the throat. Large bill.... Viewed by Jasen, Darwin, and Mark"

View/Reply Online (#27834): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/27834
-=-=-
-=-=-
Group Owner: main+<owner...>