Date: 10/24/18 12:50 pm
From: eBird alert <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- White-winged Dove (2 reports)
- Black-footed Albatross (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)
- Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (1 report)
- Vermilion Flycatcher (1 report)
- Tropical Kingbird (2 reports)

White-winged Dove (Zenaida asiatica) (1)
- Reported Oct 23, 2018 10:30 by Mark Holmgren
- Ellwood Marine Terminal, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.41771,-119.88094&ll=34.41771,-119.88094
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "A large dove popped out of the NE corner of the Eucalyptus surrounding the Ellwood Marine Terminals. Viewed and photographed while it sat on the power lines over Venoco Road. First to grab my attention was the contrast between the tail (brown) and the lower back (gray). This individual was distinguished by the long bill, orange iris surrounded by a blue orbital ring, and a 'displaced mustache' under the cheek instead of a black nape bar."

White-winged Dove (Zenaida asiatica) (1)
- Reported Oct 23, 2018 10:30 by Jessica Nielsen
- Ellwood Marine Terminal, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.41771,-119.88094&ll=34.41771,-119.88094
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "A large dove popped out of the NE corner of the Eucalyptus surrounding the Ellwood Marine Terminals. Viewed and photographed while it sat on the power lines over Venoco Road. First to grab my attention was the contrast between the tail (brown) and the lower back (gray). This individual was distinguished by the long bill, orange iris surrounded by a blue orbital ring, and a 'displaced mustache' under the cheek instead of a black nape bar."

Black-footed Albatross (Phoebastria nigripes) (1)
- Reported Oct 22, 2018 15:17 by Rick Bowers
- (34.7494,-121.3736), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.749358,-121.373637&ll=34.749358,-121.373637
- Comments: "Photos "

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Oct 24, 2018 07:45 by Rob Denholtz
- CA, Carpinteria, Carpinteria Salt Marsh & Beach, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3986926,-119.5336282&ll=34.3986926,-119.5336282
- Comments: "Seen here many times previously by many observers. By now, this bird should be on the regular list. It is NOT "rare for this date & location." Seen flying up Franklin Creek. Face is vaguely similar to Great Blue but bird is smaller over all; faster wing-beats. Absence of croaking call heard from startled Great Blue."

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus varius) (1)
- Reported Oct 23, 2018 10:45 by Joan Lentz
- 433 Pimiento Ln, Santa Barbara US-CA (34.4341,-119.6351), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.434078,-119.635051&ll=34.434078,-119.635051
- Comments: "I looked up in the magnolia tree that grows over my driveway, and I had good binocular views of an adult male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. The bird had the red cap and red throat, delineated by a balck border, the long vertical white stripe along both sides, a faint yellowish blush on the breast below the black chest patch, and a variegated white/black ladder-like back pattern. It was just a classic adult male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. Usually, one has to take some time to figure out age and sex of these birds, or whether or not they are hybrids, but this identification was so straightforward. I had been alerted to the sapsucker's presence by its loud "mewing" call, and, if it's this vocal, I'm sure I'll be able to locate it again. I ran inside to get my camera, and came out in time to see it flying out of the garden to the north. Fingers crossed it stays for the winter."

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1)
- Reported Oct 23, 2018 11:30 by Anonymous eBirder
- Rancho Sisquoc, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.8394878,-120.2113046&ll=34.8394878,-120.2113046
- Comments: "Continuing adult male in exactly the same location as previously"

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Oct 23, 2018 12:08 by Cuyler Stapelmann
- Andree Clark Bird Refuge, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4215353,-119.6572856&ll=34.4215353,-119.6572856
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing have photos"

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Oct 24, 2018 07:54 by Pete Wolf
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Comments: "Large bill and yellow chest typical of Tropical... Viewed by several observers... Jason ?, Darwin ?, and Mark Holmgren"

View/Reply Online (#27825): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/27825
-=-=-
-=-=-
Group Owner: main+<owner...>