Date: 10/24/18 6:31 am
From: Judy & Don <9waterfall9...>
Subject: Ninestone field trip, Sunday, October 21
On an October morning after the first frost and under a beautiful blue sky, 24 birders gathered at Ninestone to count winter arrivals and migrating species. Moving through native short leaf-pines in the savanna were Wilson’s, Pine, and Yellow-rumped Warblers. White-throated Sparrows and Carolina Wrens called. We sauntered uphill to bluff overlooks, to Turtle Rock where Prickly Pear fruits and Split-beard Bluestem seeds ripened, and back through the sandstone glade that is scheduled for another prescribed burn in late winter 2019. The sun shone as we sat at the edge of the cliff on Ordovician Kings River sandstone, watching a skein of eight distant geese headed south, while Turkey Vultures and Black Vultures soared overhead. Red-breasted Nuthatches busied themselves in the treetops as mosses and lichens continued their patient crawl across the rock. Back home again, after we finished lunch, it had warmed into the mid-60°s, so intrepid folk waded across the creek in bare feet while others rode in the truck to see the waterfall close-up. Even more sparrows were discovered in the west glade, hiding in the restored grasses and forbs. Our youngest birders, Beulah and Hans, towheads with blue eyes, gathered ripe persimmons beneath two trees in the hedgerow, and sat beside the falls dipping their feet into the racing water.

Here are our birds for the day:

Geese, unknown species – 8

Black Vulture – 6

Turkey Vulture - 26

Bald Eagle – 1 immature, 2 adults

Northern Harrier – 2

Cooper’s Hawk – 1 (chased away by territorial Belted Kingfisher)

Red-shouldered Hawk – 2

Red-tailed Hawk (borealis) – 3

Mourning Dove - 1

Belted Kingfisher – 2

Red-bellied Woodpecker – 4

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker – 2 (FOS)

Downy Woodpecker – 2

Hairy Woodpecker – 1

Northern Flicker (yellow-shafted) – 8

Pileated Woodpecker – 2

Eastern Phoebe – 1

Blue Jay – 12

American Crow – 54 (about 40 after a RTHA)

Carolina Chickadee -10

Tufted Titmouse - 3

Red-breasted Nuthatch – 6

White-breasted Nuthatch (eastern) – 6

Carolina Wren – 7

Ruby-crowned Kinglet – 1

Eastern Bluebird – 10

Hermit Thrush – 1 (FOS)

American Robin – 100 +

Yellow-rumped Warbler (myrtle) – 35 (traveling with Robins)

Pine Warbler – 4

Wilson’s Warbler – 1

Chipping Sparrow - 2

Field Sparrow – 7

Song Sparrow – 10

Lincoln’s Sparrow – 1

Swamp Sparrow – 9

White-throated Sparrow – 25

Dark-eyed Junco (slate-colored) – 3

Northern Cardinal – 6

Rose-breasted Grosbeak – 2

American Goldfinch - 4

Monarch Butterflies migrating – 12

Banded Argiope [Argiope trifasciata] - 1

Rough Green Snake - 1

Big Brown Bats (roosting in deck rafters) - 9

Join us on Facebook!