Date: 10/23/18 12:34 pm
From: Ric Zarwell <birdingricz...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Why does NE Iowa lack breeding Northern Saw-whet Owls?
Hello Clem and All:

At least one, and possibly two Northern Saw-whet Owls have been detected in NE Iowa in spring.

Out of curiosity and a hunch about foraging habitat I played NSWO calls (not toots) on my iPhone. At one location in Allamakee County, my wife Betty and I immediately heard sharp threat-type return calls close-by. These responses continued for 5-6 times, and seemed to at least partially circle us. Not wanting to distress the bird or birds, I stopped playing the calls after 3-4 times. We did not actually see the owls, but the calls mimicked what was on my iPhone exactly. At the time I was working closely with friend, NSWO expert, and bird bander, Jerry Toll, with hopes that we could provide nest boxes to encourage nesting.

Because I’m currently recovering from serious surgery I am not allowed to climb the stairs to my second floor office to search for my records. However, I believe the above memorable incident took place on the 14th of May and the year would have probably been 2014. Our efforts to provide nest boxes was more or less usurped by another individual, and although quite interested, my involvement ended. Jerry may be able to provide further details.

I believe it is highly likely that NSWOs at least tried to reproduce in Iowa, and young may well have been present when the threat responses were heard.

Ric

Ric Zarwell
PO Box 299
Lansing, IA 52151-0299
Email: <BirdingRicZ...> <mailto:<BirdingRicZ...>
Mobile: 563-419-4991
Home/Office: 563-538-4991