Date: 10/20/18 3:57 pm
From: Scott Ramos <lsr...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Noble Knob raptors
Sorry for the late post. On Sunday, Oct 14, Dave Swayne, Sam Woods and I led a Seattle Audubon birding hike to Noble Knob. October has been a good month to observe migrating raptors and the Knob is well situated between two north-south oriented drainages that offers decent views of the migration. On this occasion, we had a good collection, including Golden and Bald Eagle, Sharp-shinned (about a dozen!) and Cooper’s Hawk, Red-tailed and Rough-legged Hawk, a Merlin and a possible Northern Goshawk.

In addition to the target raptors, there were some bonus birds, including a perched Sooty Grouse along the forested trail, one or more Northern Shrike, a late Mountain Bluebird, several Townsend’s Solitaire and a very tame Horned Lark. We were able to stand very close to the lark for great views as it fed in the alpine meadow. At one point, it took a break from feeding to do a little dust bathing:
https://youtu.be/5-NZqM5S9XQ

Two of the lakes below the Knob had small groups of Barrow’s Goldeneye. Then, on what would be our last stop at a pullout on the way out, a Northern Pygmy-Owl flew in to Dave’s calling.

Scott Ramos
Seattle