Date: 10/19/18 9:25 am
From: Steve Compton <scompton1251...>
Subject: Re: Politics on Carolina Bird
Folks,

I think Bill makes a good point. I avoid partisan politics on this forum, but I have noticed that most of the objections to "political" postings come from our more conservative folks. In the birding community we must advocate for the environment, so certain political postings are appropriate and inevitable. There is a fine line here of consideration, civility, and taste. But censoring all postings because they make a few uncomfortable would go too far. If we grow complacent about the environment, we will lose it.

Steve Compton
Greenville, SC

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid
On 19 Oct 2018 11:53 am, Bill Guion <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> I suspect that most of us agree with this sentiment, but then I also suspect that most of us won't agree on what "political views" are. And that is the problem with a guideline such as "don't discuss political issues here".
>
> To be really absurd, suppose an individual wanted to buy the Great Smokey Mountains and bar access to any part of it other than the Blue Ridge Parkway. Surely birders would want to know about that, and what better place to make that known than Carolina Birds. Is that political? Where are the politics?
>
> If, instead of an individual, the North Carolina legislature wanted to do the same thing. Would it then be political because it is a legislature rather than an individual? Does the action change meaning because of the person(s) behind the action?
>
> I'm just trying to point out the difficulty in defining what a political issue is. Be careful here.

> > I am tired of using this excellent birding service to voice political views.
> > Take it to Facebook!
> > Please could the moderator take appropriate action.  This is not the first time for some of these offenders.
> >
> > Simon. Harvey
> > Simpsonville, SC
> > --
> > Caroline and Simon Harvey