Date: 10/18/18 12:49 pm
From: eBird alert <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Hammond's Flycatcher (2 reports)
- Ash-throated Flycatcher (1 report)
- Swainson's Thrush (2 reports)
- Sage Thrasher (2 reports)
- Blue-winged Warbler (3 reports)
- Magnolia Warbler (1 report)

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1)
- Reported Oct 18, 2018 09:22 by Donald Pendleton
- Carpinteria Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3930006,-119.5140259&ll=34.3930006,-119.5140259
- Comments: "Continuing bird"

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 14, 2018 07:30 by Curtis Marantz
- Carpinteria Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3930006,-119.5140259&ll=34.3930006,-119.5140259
- Comments: "Others spotted this bird as it foraged actively in the upper branches of the large sycamores that were directly over the streambed a short distance above the bend. Although this bird was difficult to follow given its very active behavior, I eventually managed to get views that were sufficient to make a definitive identification. Although others noted that this bird flicked its wings, I never saw it do so, probably in part because it took me a little longer to get onto the bird with my scope, so I would have missed any wing-flicking that ti did when it perched. I never heard this bird give the distinctive "pip" calls of this species, but I did hear some generic Empidonax, "chase" calls that may or may not have been given by this bird when it interacted with a second Empidonax that was probably a Western Flycatcher.
This was a small flycatcher that looked much like the "Western" and Willow Flycatchers that we saw in the same general area. Given that my views were generally brief and involving a bird that was perched high overhead, I had a difficult time seeing the finer details of its structure. I nevertheless noted that this was a small bird, with an upright posture, a plump body, a large head, a conspicuously small bill, and long wings that appeared to extend some distance out a relatively short tail. My best views suggested that the bill was both short and relatively slim as it tapered from a base of medium-width to what appeared to be a blunt tip when seen from below. I further thought the bill would have extended backward on the face to a point somewhere near the eye. I also noted what appeared to be a large-headed appearance and a weak peak to the crown. Although it was difficult to discern the shape overall shape from below, I thought this bird had a short and somewhat stocky neck, a plump body with an upright posture, and noticeably long wings that had a primary projection that had to be almost as long as the entirely length of the exposed secondaries. I had a difficult time comparing the length of the tail relative to the body, but I did note that the tail appeared to be both short and parallel-sided. I have no recollection whatsoever of the legs or feet.
My views of the plumage patterns were even more superficial than those of the structure, but I was confident that this bird’s coloration and plumage patterns were typical of an Empidonax. This bird appeared to be conspicuously olive throughout the head and what I could see of the upperparts, but the color was unlike what I would have expected on either a Western or a Willow Flycatcher. I did note a think but well-defined and relatively conspicuous eyering that appeared to be more white than yellow, but I noted no other pattern on the face. The wings were sooty in color and apparently with the tips of the greater and median coverts appearing light gray and not white or yellow. The remiges were edged with either whitish or light gray to create a finely striped pattern to the rear part of the wing, but the wingtips were rather uniformly dark. In all, I thought this bird’s wing was duller than that of a Least or Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, but I cannot now recall if I noted a dark band below the lower wingbar. My views of the underparts were not great, but I thought they were both paler than the upperparts, but also not too different in color and seemingly a dingy, grayish-olive in color. I cannot now recall if the belly was paler or if there was a vested appearance.
I thought the bill was entirely dark when seen from below, but it is possible that I could have missed a limited amount of paler coloration at the base of the lower mandible. I also noted that the eyes were dark, but their precise color evaded me, and I as noted above, I have no recollection at all about the legs or feet."

Ash-throated Flycatcher (Myiarchus cinerascens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 14, 2018 07:30 by Curtis Marantz
- Carpinteria Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3930006,-119.5140259&ll=34.3930006,-119.5140259
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Near the end of my visit we saw in the understory along the creek a conspicuously ragged juvenile flycatcher that clearly represented a Myiarchus on the basis of the large size, slim body, long tail and bill, and rather blocky appearance to the head. I also noted that the head, neck, and underparts were dark brown, that the underparts were creamy whitish to light gray and quite mottled in appearance, and that the truly ragged tail had quite a bit of rufous. This bird never called, but I did manage to get several photos, including some while it perched atop my scope."

Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 14, 2018 07:30 by Curtis Marantz
- Carpinteria Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3930006,-119.5140259&ll=34.3930006,-119.5140259
- Comments: "I believe Brittany heard at one point a call that she thought represented this species and shortly later I saw a bird perched in the mid-levels of the trees on the west bank of the creek a silent bird that I identified on the basis of the dark brown color of the head and upperparts, with the wings unmarked and not contrasting conspicuously with the tail, and well-defined spectacles that were buff in color, complete, and connected to the base of the bill through a supraloral stripe. I also noted at one point that the undertail coverts were tapered and white in color, but I never had a good view of this bird's underparts from the front, so I cannot now recall if I saw a spotted breast, Given the shaded conditions under which my observations were made, I would avoid identification of this bird to subspecies-group."

Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus) (3)
- Reported Oct 17, 2018 09:00 by Anonymous eBirder
- Quatal Canyon (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.819282,-119.4588733&ll=34.819282,-119.4588733
- Comments: "Heavy chest spotting, Buffy eye-rings, brown tail"

Sage Thrasher (Oreoscoptes montanus) (1)
- Reported Oct 17, 2018 08:45 by Aaron Kreisberg
- Santa Cruz Island--Scorpion Campground, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0488223,-119.5624803&ll=34.0488223,-119.5624803
- Comments: "Seen running along the ground between road and fig tree beyond the kayak guide site. Distinct yellow, slightly curved bill, and white on edge of tail feathers were observed."

Sage Thrasher (Oreoscoptes montanus) (1)
- Reported Oct 17, 2018 11:30 by Aaron Kreisberg
- Santa Cruz Island--Scorpion Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0489615,-119.5560551&ll=34.0489615,-119.5560551
- Comments: "Seen in the area of the kayak conscession operations. Bird was seen moving along the ground and perched on a fence post. Grey bird with a curved bill, streaky breast, yellow eye, and white on the edge of tail."

Blue-winged Warbler (Vermivora cyanoptera) (1)
- Reported Oct 16, 2018 15:30 by Jim Moore
- Carpinteria Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3930006,-119.5140259&ll=34.3930006,-119.5140259
- Comments: "Continuing bird since Friday, seen flying into a tree in the parking lot behind the Creekwind condos, with a flock of Bushtits. All light yellow face and undersides, post ocular mascara and smugy wingbars."

Blue-winged Warbler (Vermivora cyanoptera) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 14, 2018 07:30 by Curtis Marantz
- Carpinteria Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3930006,-119.5140259&ll=34.3930006,-119.5140259
- Media: 9 Photos
- Comments: "We again saw this bird in trees along the creek above 8th Avenue at 8:05-8:17 am, and relatively consistently from 9:15 am to 11:55 am.
This was a relatively colorful and well-marked bird, yet for a Blue-winged Warbler its patterns seemed muted. The crown, nape, back, scapulars, and rump were a relatively bright, lime-green in color and seemingly unmarked; however, the lower edge of the green cap was demarcated by a relatively well-defined supercilium that connected narrowly across the forehead from which it extended back through the supraloral region, over the eyes, and then back about halfway across the upper edge of the auriculars. Contrasting more sharply with the supercilium than the green cap was the black eyeline that combined a line of medium width that extended through the lores from the base of the bill to the front part of the eye (where it was slightly broader than the eye where the two met), and then a narrower and relatively finely tapered wedge of black just behind the eye. The lower part of the face below the loral stripe and eye was a bright lemon-yellow, but the yellow extended backward only about halfway through the auriculars, the rear edge of which was the same shade of green as the back and sides of the neck. The throat, breast, belly, sides, and flanks were a bright, lemon-yellow from the chin down through the vent region, but the tapered undertail-coverts were a dull white from the vent to their terminus. I further noted a weak suffusion of olive to the sides of the breast and along the flanks, but in general, the underparts appeared to be yellow and unmarked. The underside of the tail showed white spots on the inner webs of the outer rectrices that were visible from just behind the undertail coverts, but the edge curved inward to reach the inner edge just short of the tips of the outer feathers. The white was framed by black on either side of the tail and the black expanded distally across the inner web to cover the tips of the outer feathers. Contrasting with the green back, the wings were more boldly marked and tending toward bluish in color. I noted bluish-gray at the shoulder, between the wingbars, and on the rear part of the wing. The median coverts were bluish-gray (and maybe a shade more blue than battleship-gray) basally before merging sharply6 with the white tips of these feathers to produce an upper wingbar that was both broader and shifted forward on the wing relative to the lower wingbar. The greater coverts had medium to dark gray centers that contrasted with both the relatively narrow white tips and edges that were about the same shade of blue-gray as the bases of the median coverts. Further apparent was a darker wedge along the leading edge of the wing that represented the primary coverts. The secondaries appeared to be medium to dark brownish internally, but with edges that were similar in color to those of the greater coverts that were narrow but well-defined on most of the feathers but broader and more poorly defined on the innermost secondaries, on which the contrast between the centers and edges was relatively subtle. Finally, the exposed primary tips appeared to be brownish and poorly marked, but I did see fringes that were sufficiently conspicuous for me to distinguish the various feathers in the wingtip. The upperside of the tail was dark gray with subtly paler edges that were probably light gray. The spread tail showed a moderate amount of white on the outer feathers.
Whereas the bill typically appeared to be black, views directly from below suggested a narrow edge of a paler and seemingly flesh color on the inner part of the lower mandible that was not visible from the side. I once thought the eyes were dark brown when seen in good light and at relatively close range through my scope. The legs generally appeared to be dark, but I noted at least some flesh tones to the undersides of the legs. I thought both the toes and claws were generally dark."

Blue-winged Warbler (Vermivora cyanoptera) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 13, 2018 15:00 by Curtis Marantz
- Carpinteria Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3930006,-119.5140259&ll=34.3930006,-119.5140259
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "(calling; we observed the continuing bird that had been found earlier in the day by Nick Lethaby at distances down to about 15 meters at 3:06-3:10 pm, briefly at about 4:00 pm, and intermittently between 5:10 pm and 5:40 pm; see composite description from 14 October)"

Magnolia Warbler (Setophaga magnolia) (1)
- Reported Oct 18, 2018 09:00 by Jamie Chavez
- Rancho Guadalupe Dunes Park--from entrance to sand plant, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9591002,-120.6272971&ll=34.9591002,-120.6272971
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "HY bird. Fairly bright underpants including the with faint dusky streaks on flanks, grayish head and yellow throat with pale eyering. It had grayish wings with two white wingbars, white undertail coverts, black tail tips as seen from below. It was well concealed in willows most of the time but sat still preening for several minutes. Identifiable photos"

View/Reply Online (#27791): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/27791
-=-=-
-=-=-
Group Owner: main+<owner...>