Date: 10/18/18 1:39 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (17 Oct 2018) 128 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 18:00:00
Total observation time: 9.75 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Howard Campbell

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Howard Campbell, Kitty Campbell, Donna Kipphorn
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Sunny - Partly Sunny (0-50% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 41 - 60F, Winds West @ 15 - 20 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (90) and Turkey Vultures (70).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-1; 4 yr.-1; adult-5
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ The first Golden Eagle is coming today. I just know it!
When have I been wrong, eh?? Howard arrived with his Wednesday gift of
bird seed, just having missed an adult Bald Eagle. Thanks, Howard! Grab a
cup of “field brew!” A Pine Siskin flew over emitting its unique call. A
nice stream of Turkey Vultures and a slow flow of Sharp-shinned Hawks came
by today.
<BR><BR>
We identified 44 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, American
Kestrel, Palm Warbler, Pine Siskin, White-crowned Sparrow, and Purple
Finch. Nothing new was seen today for this year’s “hawk watch area”
species list. [132 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Palm Warbler, Pine Siskin, White-crowned Sparrow, and Purple Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (7): Monarch - 2, Cabbage White,
Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye, Variegated
Fritillary. Dragonflies (1): Green Darner. Reptiles & Amphibians (0).
Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.06; Steps: 10,158; Floors:
14.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 44; this season: 132
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks good, if you can find it in clear skies. Winds
will be strong from the right direction - northwest, but the skies will be
deep blue.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: