Date: 10/14/18 6:53 pm
From: Dennis Paulson <dennispaulson...>
Subject: [Tweeters] two scoters in eastern WA
Hello, tweeters.

Today, 14 October 2018, Netta Smith and I photographed a juvenile White-winged Scoter in a small lake in the ponderosa pine zone on the W side of Cameron Lake Road, south of Omak, Okanogan County.

We also photographed a juvenile Surf Scoter from the park at the south end of Banks Lake, Grant County.

For those who don’t know it, Cameron Lake Road is full of many hundreds of Sandhill Cranes in mid October. They feed out in the fields. They’re not especially tame, as every relatively close flock we passed flew up and away, but they are quite a spectacle. Not much else in the way of birds except quite a few ducks of a variety of species in some of the lakes at the north end of the road. This is the second year we’ve seen this.

Dennis Paulson
Seattle