Date: 10/14/18 12:23 pm
From: Tyler Stuart <tylerhstuart...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Sandhill Cranes - altitude - NW Custer County
Nice observation, Leon!

I had a similar experience during the fourth week of October 2016 in the
Sangre de Cristo range. Finishing a day hike of the Venable-Comanche loop,
I heard cranes overhead. After a minute or so of searching, I spotted a
small flock and watched them fly over the range in the vicinity of Comanche
Peak (13,277'), some 4,500 feet higher than I was. They were also headed
southwest, presumably toward Monte Vista NWR. It is, indeed, always a
thrill.

Tyler Stuart
Colorado Springs