Date: 10/10/18 7:12 pm
From: Birding Center Naturalist <naturalist...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: White-crowned Pigeon at SPI Birding & Nature Center 10/3
The White-crowned Pigeon continued through today 10/10 at the South Padre Island Birding & Nature Center. Other than the Possum Grape Vine (Cissus trifoliata), I have now seen it eat Berlandier’s Fiddlewood (Cytharexylum berlandieri) berries. We have lots of fiddlewood bushes in the gardens. I still haven’t seen it drink anything.

Bird doesn’t seem to do or fly much and prefers to stay close to its roosting site all day. Sometimes sitting in the same perch for hours on end for all to see. I know it can fly well and strong because I’ve seen it take some laps around the parking lot before, but it chooses the safety of its roosting site.

During the peak of the heat it sits in a shady perch and does a lot of gular fluttering.

It’s been really interesting to watch this bird and how tame it can be. Lots of people have been able to view it and photograph it relatively close. Maybe it’s recuperating after a long and turbulent ride across the gulf?

Best of birding,
Javi Gonzalez

Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!