Date: 10/10/18 12:47 pm
From: eBird alert <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Common Tern (1 report)
- Tropical Kingbird (1 report)
- Pinyon Jay (1 report)
- Clay-colored Sparrow (1 report)
- Bobolink (5 reports)
- Palm Warbler (1 report)

Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) (1)
- Reported Oct 09, 2018 08:24 by Mark Holmgren
- UC Santa Barbara--Lagoon, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4071221,-119.8483944&ll=34.4071221,-119.8483944
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Dark carpal bar, dark lateral margin of lateral rectrix, ear patch continuous around nape. Viewed by scope."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Oct 09, 2018 08:24 by Mark Holmgren
- UC Santa Barbara--Lagoon, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4071221,-119.8483944&ll=34.4071221,-119.8483944
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Photos . On snag at west end of Lagoon island."

Pinyon Jay (Gymnorhinus cyanocephalus) (18)
- Reported Oct 09, 2018 10:55 by David Compton
- 4705 San Miguelito Rd, Lompoc US-CA (34.5796,-120.5106), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.579608,-120.510646&ll=34.579608,-120.510646
- Comments: "While standing above upper Miguelito Canyon to the south, I heard a couple of nasal calls coming from across the canyon, about 0.25 miles away. I then saw a flock of birds come over the ridge and make their way west below the ridge top, over the divide between Miguelito Creek and Honda Creek, and then farther west, in the direction of Vandenberg Air Force Base. The birds were very distant and initially were backlit against a gray sky. But they soon dropped down enough that I could see them against the ridge. Even though I did not expect Pinyon Jay in the least given the time and place, I quickly suspected I was looking at this species. When the birds dropped down in front of the ridge, I could make out blue dorsal sides to the birds, or at least some of them. I couldn't make out anything else in terms of plumage. The birds were largish, but size was difficult to discern at this distance. I briefly entertained the notion that the birds could be Band-tailed Pigeons, just because I thought I needed to consider something less likely. But these birds were blue and they flew nothing like Band-taileds, a flock of which I had seen a few minutes earlier. These birds flew fairly directly, but much slower than pigeons, and looked pretty buoyant in flight. It's hard to say that I thought they looked like jays, since they didn't fly like a scrub-jay or a Steller's Jay. I suppose the flight resembled that of Clark's Nutcracker the most among other corvids occurring in California. Or maybe it was a bit like American Crow, but slower. They flew in a fairly disorganized group, with some undulation noted in their flight. But this was not pronounced. It was a bit like watching a small blackbird flock in slow motion.
I initially noted that I thought the flight call, which I heard maybe 10 or 12 times as I followed the flock, sounded nasal and plaintiff, and rising in pitch. This description does not really match anything I've listened to since. But the call was definitely nasal, and it was loud enough to be heard from a quarter mile away. I would also say it seemed like a fairly deep nasal call. It was not that high pitched. I am sure there was a change in pitch in the call. But I suspect I erred in noting the pitch was rising. The quality of the call was like that of other Pinyon Jay calls that I've listened to since seeing these birds, whether or not the pitch was rising.
In short, despite the distance of this observation, I'm confident of the ID, given the larger size of the birds, the blue dorsal color, and the vocalization."

Clay-colored Sparrow (Spizella pallida) (4)
- Reported Oct 09, 2018 17:30 by Aaron Kreisberg
- Santa Cruz Island--Scorpion Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0489615,-119.5560551&ll=34.0489615,-119.5560551
- Comments: "Four sparrows in the area of the corral. Gray collar was prominent."

Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus) (1)
- Reported Oct 09, 2018 14:33 by Libby Patten
- Elings Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4098484,-119.7349691&ll=34.4098484,-119.7349691
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Found yesterday by Hugh Ranson. Found by others later. Seen on a trail heading due east from the stone bench. Pointed out to me by eagle-eye Julie Scotland. Foraging on seeds in the trail. Observed for at least 15 minutes while it slowly meandering east, continuing to feed, staying largely on the ground. Striking in its overall golden/buffy background highlighted by dark streaks. Pink conical bill. Dark eye line and dark stripes on head. Neck and nape just a solid buff/gold. Appeared to be slightly smaller than a CA Towhee. It's interesting how different this bird looks in different postures and certain aspects of the plumage of the bird I photographed look quite different from the photos taken by Hugh or Cuyler Stapelmann. But it must be the same bird, right? I know sometimes multiple Bobolink have been seen together at one spot during migration (such as the Patterson Ag Fields), so it will be interesting to see if there could be more than one at this location."

Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus) (1)
- Reported Oct 09, 2018 14:15 by Julie Scotland
- Elings Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4098484,-119.7349691&ll=34.4098484,-119.7349691
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "The bird had been spotted just before I arrived at Elings but seemed to have disappeared. I managed to spot it when it walked into one of the small trails to feed. It was immediately noticeable with it's striking yellow/gold color (which I don't think has come through the photos posted by others thus far unless this is a second Bobolink). Seen with Libby Patton and one other gentleman."

Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus) (1)
- Reported Oct 09, 2018 12:46 by Larry Ballard
- Elings Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4098484,-119.7349691&ll=34.4098484,-119.7349691
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "No vocals. The bird did not move much and allowed a close approach."

Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus) (1)
- Reported Oct 09, 2018 12:46 by Mark Holmgren
- Elings Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4098484,-119.7349691&ll=34.4098484,-119.7349691
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "No vocals. The bird did not move much and allowed a close approach."

Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus) (1)
- Reported Oct 09, 2018 07:04 by Conor Scotland
- Elings Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4098484,-119.7349691&ll=34.4098484,-119.7349691
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Found by Hugh R the prior evening. Photo."

Palm Warbler (Setophaga palmarum) (1)
- Reported Oct 09, 2018 07:04 by Conor Scotland
- Elings Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4098484,-119.7349691&ll=34.4098484,-119.7349691
- Comments: "At least one of these in fennel with yellow-ruped warblers. Brown warbler with dark eyeline and pale supercilium. Tale pumping. Didn't get a look at the UtC. Let out a "chip" as it flew off. In comparison to YRWA chips, it was very faint and high pitched. I think John C got a photo."

View/Reply Online (#27730): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/27730
-=-=-
-=-=-
Group Owner: main+<owner...>