Date: 10/9/18 6:50 pm
From: reports--- via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Kiptopeke Hawkwatch (09 Oct 2018) 333 Raptors
Kiptopeke Hawkwatch
Tip of Virginia's Eastern Shore, Virginia, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 09, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 38 684 3373
Bald Eagle 17 105 295
Northern Harrier 3 60 201
Sharp-shinned Hawk 33 465 977
Cooper's Hawk 71 693 1076
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 7 8
Broad-winged Hawk 51 459 1196
Red-tailed Hawk 2 17 65
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 37 897 2787
Merlin 25 346 1249
Peregrine Falcon 55 676 1184
Unknown Accipiter 1 3 3
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 4 11
Unknown Raptor 0 2 4

Total: 333 4418 12429

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 10 hours

Official Counter: Anna Stunkel

Observers: Bill Purcell, Harry Armistead, Julia Magill, Rose Leong,
Wes Hetrick

Weather:
Light to moderate winds were mostly from the southeast and east southeast,
with partly cloudy skies and temperatures in the seventies to eighties.
Muggy, summer-like conditions continued today.

Raptor Observations:
Cooper's Hawks, broad-wings, and peregrines have been continuing in good
numbers. This included a kettle of 26 broad-wings. At one point today, six
Bald Eagles of various ages passed overhead in quick succession.

Non-raptor Observations:
Passerines and other non-raptors were relatively quiet today, with the
exception of our resident mockingbird, "Jerry Garcia." Jerry has been
singing many convincing imitations, including but definitely not limited to
Bald Eagle, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Purple Martin, American Kestrel,
crickets, sirens (?), Northern Bobwhite, House Sparrow (he must be hanging
around Royal Farms sometimes) and much more. I think that this is the same
mockingbird which was present last fall, based on the patterns of his
extensive repertoire. Sixteen Blue Jays passed.
Report submitted by Brian Taber (<Taberzz...>)
Kiptopeke Hawkwatch information may be found at:
www.cvwo.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=484
Count data submitted via Dunkadoo - Project info at:
https://dunkadoo.org/explore/cvwo/kiptopeke-hawk-count-2018