Date: 10/8/18 4:07 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (07 Oct 2018) 62 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 18:30:00
Total observation time: 10 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (21): Jeff Wahl, Hank Davis, Elaine Kirchdoerfer, Kathleen
Pileggi, Maria & Elias Zouras, Carl Mease, Julie Engiles, Dorothy Bedford,
Harvey Rubenstein, Walter Borys, Evan Miller, Jackie Miller, Carol Majors,
Jeff Wilson, Mark Boas, Jerry Jeffers, Susan Jeffers, Gerry Teig, and Tom
Brokaw.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy-Partly Sunny (100-50% cloud cover), Ceiling - 500-15,000 ft.,
Visibility - 5-10 miles, Temps 68 - 80F, Winds South @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (42) and Turkey Vultures (70).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-1; adult-0
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ Our regular Bucktoe bird walk was first this morning. On
the walk, 15 of us enjoyed a very nice variety of late-season migrants –
warblers and hawks, among the mix. 55 species were noted, including
Red-breasted nuthatch, Lincoln’s Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, Ruby-crowned
Kinglet, Black-and-white Warbler, American Redstart, Magnolia Warbler,
Blackpoll Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Palm Warbler, Yellow-rumped
Warbler, Rose-breasted grosbeak, Pine Siskin, and Purple Finch. After our
stroll, we went to the hawk watch. Jerry & Susan arrived with a gift of a
new mug to replace the one I lost. And it was full! Thanks, my dear
friends! Dorothy arrived with gifts of suet for the birds – the good stuff
too! We thank you, Dorothy! A Blackpoll Warbler visited our feeder snag
with designs on our water feature, but got talked out of it by a Palm
Warbler, chasing it away. Our first Pine Siskin flew over and our
Lincoln’s Sparrow visited and bathed in the water feature. Optometrist
Mark was out but COULDN’T SEE HIS WAY CLEAR to bring the spare propane tank
he has for the site. Thanks, Mark [I think!!]. You just got blogged,
Buddy! Take 2 aspirins and call me in the morning.
<BR><BR>
“Grillmaster Jerry” & wife, Susan worked magic on our BBQ with grilled
veggies, chicken and wine for dinner. A lovely meal at lovely Bucktoe,
with lovely friends. They always remember that gifts of food and drink are
not only welcomed, but to be encouraged here at Bucktoe! Thanks Jerry &
Susan! After dinner the Barred Owls hooted for desert, I reckon.
<BR><BR>
Property owner, Tom was out for an extended period this evening and we had
a nice chat. I enjoyed that, Tom!
<BR><BR>
We identified 59 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, Broad-winged
Hawk, American Kestrel, Merlin, Great Blue Heron, Barred Owl, Red-breasted
nuthatch, Lincoln’s Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, Ruby-crowned Kinglet,
Black-and-white Warbler, American Redstart, Magnolia Warbler, Blackpoll
Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Palm Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler,
Rose-breasted grosbeak, Pine Siskin, and Purple Finch. New for this year’s
“hawk watch area” species list was Pine Siskin and Ruby-crowned Kinglet.
[126 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Great Blue Heron, Barred Owl, Red-breasted nuthatch, Lincoln’s Sparrow,
Swamp Sparrow, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Black-and-white Warbler, American
Redstart, Magnolia Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler,
Palm Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Rose-breasted grosbeak, Pine Siskin,
and Purple Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (7): Monarch - 100, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tailed Blue, Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Orange Sulphur,
Buckeye. Dragonflies (2): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags. Reptiles &
Amphibians (2): Spring Peeper, American Toad. Mammals (5): Eastern
Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, White-tailed Deer, Woodchuck, and Meadow
Vole, .
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 7.35; Steps: 17,241; Floors:
31.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 59; this season: 126
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):” Pine
Siskin & Ruby-crowned Kinglet.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks tough with low visibility, at first. Plenty of
clouds with east winds.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: