Date: 10/6/18 1:30 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (06 Oct 2018) 108 Raptors

Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 0 1

Total: 108 422 4836

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Beatty Broughton, Evelyn Fowles, Gerry Teig, Mike Fowles

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (11): Gerry Teig, Jim Green, Mike & Evelyn Fowles, Lori & Henry
Stewart, Beaty Broughton, Daniel Noznisky, Chris & Caren Greisman.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy w/ Drizzle (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 1,400-3,400 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 61 - 71F, Winds NE-SE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
3-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (39) and Turkey Vultures (35).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ Just another overcast, dreary day heading our way. Nothing
at the Polo Fields to start the day; Bucktoe was quiet too. At 10:25, a
pair of Peregrines cruised by, saving our morning. The Lincoln’s Sparrow
was out to the feeders today. Ji was out, bearing food – for the birds.
Thanks, Jim! The sky was low with visibility lacking, picking up just a
bit later in the day. Daniel was out with a bottle to add to my nature
theme bar, AND HAD THE DECENCY TO LEAVE A SHOT in it for this blogger –
please take note of this, Mike! Way to go, Daniel! Our best bird today
turned out to be a Viceroy [butterfly], spotted by Mike, which rested on
the ground right in front of us.
<BR><BR>
We identified 53 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Osprey,
Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, Broad-winged Hawk,
American Kestrel, Peregrine Falcon, COMMON RAVEN, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker,
Red-breasted Nuthatch, Palm Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, Lincoln’s Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, and Purple Finch. Nothing new
for this year’s “hawk watch area” species list was seen today. [124
species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
COMMON RAVEN, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Palm
Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Lincoln’s Sparrow,
Swamp Sparrow, and Purple Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (5): Monarch - 25, Cabbage White,
Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Viceroy. Dragonflies (0). Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel,
Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.53; Steps: 10,032; Floors: 9.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 53; this season: 124
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a slow atart with poor visibility and cloudy
conditions, with skies improving in the afternoon.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek