Date: 10/5/18 7:15 pm
From: Ross Silcock <silcock...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] FW: MODERATE -- posted to NEBirds
As you can see from the subject line and below, NEBIRDS knows I'm Moderator, but won't let me do anything (I'm working on that).

So I'm circumventing it and forwarding this from Jason Thiele.

Ross Silcock
Tabor, IA
402-618-4933

Hello, NE Birders!

I am a Nebraska native who recently returned to the state after about a decade away. I grew up in Antelope County, , but my wife and I recently moved to Norfolk (Madison County), where I am a biologist for the Game and Parks Commission. I am very happy to be back home!

Today was a big sparrow day in the northeast part of the state. In little brush pile near the office in Norfolk, I saw a nice variety of species, including a Fox Sparrow (FOS), Dark-eyed Juncos (FOS), White-throated Sparrows (FOS), Lincoln's Sparrows, Harris's Sparrows, and Song Sparrows. While driving on country roads between Norfolk and Battle Creek, I observed several small groups of Savannah and Vesper Sparrows. But the best spot of the day was a small CRP field southwest of Battle Creek. This first-year "weedy" CRP field and the plum thicket in the adjacent ditch were crawling with sparrows (and one Orange-crowned Warbler). Here I observed most of the species mentioned earlier as well as a Clay-colored Sparrow (FOS), White-crowned Sparrows (FOS), Field Sparrows, and the bird of the day, a FOS LeConte's Sparrow! It definitely was a good reminder of the importance of CRP to both resident and migratory birds - hopefully the program will get back up and running soon.

I look forward to meeting more of my fellow NE birders in the field! Have a great weekend!

Jason Thiele
Norfolk, NE (Madison County)

Ross