Date: 10/5/18 3:58 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: [de-birds] Ashland Nature Center (05 Oct 2018) 114 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 7
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 1 18

Total: 114 339 3922

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: David Brown

Observers: Bob Brown, Bobby Brown, Deb Brown, Joe Sebastiani,
Joe Swertinski, Kim Steininger

Visitors:
9, including 6 from my family

Weather:
Overcast with moderate NE winds in the morning that calmed by the
afternoon. A brief period of rain in the afternoon.

Raptor Observations:
We had a good flight of Accipiters and falcons with 56 sharpies and 28
kestrels. A small number of broad-winged hawks continues (8). A few turkey
vultures were counted as migrants in the morning. We had great looks at a
few non-migrants including an adult bald eagle and a Cooper's hawk. Most
migrants were easily visible naked eye against the overcast skies and were
fairly low.

Non-raptor Observations:
New for season: American black duck (2), Cackling goose (2)

An amazing non-raptor flight. 1,800 Canada geese, 1,400 blue jays, 80+
purple finches(!), black-and-white warbler, Cape May warbler, northern
parula, palm warbler, 20+ yellow-rumped warblers, black-throated green
warbler, blackpoll warbler, blue-headed vireo, 59 monarchs

Predictions:
Cloudy with winds ESE@6 gusting 8mph. High of 71F. Probably won't be great
but might be some migration if the winds stay strong enough, though the
direction isn't great.
Report submitted by David Brown (<davidebrownpa...>)
Ashland Nature Center information may be found at:
www.delnature.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=663
Count data submitted via Dunkadoo - Project info at:
https://dunkadoo.org/explore/delmarva-ornithological-society/ashland-hawk-count-fall-2018

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Join us on Facebook!