Date: 10/3/18 3:02 pm
From: DAN SCHEIMAN <birddan...>
Subject: Re: mimicry
I have heard and seen Blue Jays mimic Mississippi Kites many times. Do not ID a MIKI by call alone outside of the expected season, and use caution with a single call during their season, just like you would with a Red-shouldered Hawk call. I also hear and see jays imitate Cooper's Hawks.

Dan Scheiman

Little Rock, AR

> On October 3, 2018 at 4:38 PM Ragupathy Kannan <0000013b0ad14faf-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>

> Bill, I cannot answer your query but I can tell you this: I always caution students not to report Red-shouldered Hawks based just on a single call. The Blue Jays around here are pretty good mimics of the hawks.
>
> Kannan
> Ft. Smith
>
> On Wednesday, 3 October, 2018, 3:27:32 PM GMT-5, Bill Shepherd <stoneax63...> wrote:
>

> Does anyone else wonder if some of the late Mississippi Kites being reported could be Blue Jays instead? All I can say is that I have never seen a Blue Jay mimic a MIKI. Have I ever heard a Blue Jay mimic a MIKI? I don't know if I have or not.
>
> Bill Shepherd

Join us on Facebook!