Date: 10/2/18 3:12 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (30 Sep 2018) 388 Raptors

Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 1 1

Total: 388 4409 4414

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 20:00:00
Total observation time: 11.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Hannah Greenberg, Kathleen Pileggi, Kelley Nunn,
Mike Gardner

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (36):Harvey Rubenstein, Hank Davis, Sara Busch, John Wagner, Mary
Braun, Ellen Hall, Judy Styon, Norm Lincoln, , Jean-Marie Gauthier, Lana
Glass, Mike Fowles, Colleen DelMonte, Dennis Davis, Cathy Huneke, Anna
Altieri, Nolan Morris, Kathleen Pilegggi, Mark Boas, Rodger Bovenkirk,
Chris & Jenn Walker, Daniel Noznisky, Jerry & Susan Jeffers, Hannah
Greenberg, Kelley Nunn, Dorothy Bedford, Don & Sue Manuel, Rebecca Manuel,
Jim Balint , Ian , Sarah, Ollie & Isaac Stewart.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Sunny (0-10% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10 miles,
Temps 54 - 73F, Winds Light & Variable.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (70) and Turkey Vultures (74).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-12
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ It’s my birthday! Yay!! Gotta be something special
happen, right? Our regular Sunday bird walk at Bucktoe came first today.
Greeting me when I arrived was our Red-tailed Hawk on his usual perch
soaking in the morning sun. There were 18 of us on the walk this morning.
We headed to Warbler Meadow and the Hawk Watch in hopes for Lincoln
Sparrow. Not finding it, we moved on. The meadow was dead until we turned
into the far side, where things picked, especially around the parking lot.
Highlights included Great Egret, Osprey, Broad-winged Hawks, Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker, Kestrels, Blue-headed Vireos, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Purple
Finches, Swamp Sparrow, Black-and-white Warblers, American Redstarts,
Magnolia Warblers, Blackburnian Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler, Black-throated
Blue Warbler, Palm Warblers, Pine Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler,
Black-throated Green Warblers, Scarlet Tanagers, and Rose-breasted
Grosbeaks. WOW!!! In all, we had 64 species on our walk.
<BR><BR>
After a quick break for lunch, I went back to “The Watch,” where we had a
slow, but steady, nice movement of hawks. Puff was out today. My guess
was to search for a “real name.” She had no luck but did bring FOOD, as
did Dorothy. And she did find us a Common Nighthawk. [you’ve been
blogged, Puff!] “Our” RAVENS were really around today; two soaring twice
together for a lengthy time, and a solo appearance. Grillmaster Jerry was
here today with wife Susan, staying to cook steaks for me after the watch
for my birthday – complete with his new chef hat! You wear it well, my
friend! Susan had her new customized hawk-watching chair, too - customized
by my daughter, Mandy. Thanks, Mandy! They also brought our new mascot –
little Bella, their INCREDIBLY CUTE 9-week old Chocolate Lab puppy.
<BR><BR>
We identified 70 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Osprey, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk,
Broad-winged Hawk, American Kestrel, Merlin, Common Nighthawk, Great Egret,
Barred Owl, RAVEN, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Blue-headed Vireo,
Black-and-white Warbler, American Redstart, Magnolia Warbler, Blackburnian
Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Palm Warbler, Pine
Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, Scarlet
Tanager, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Red-breasted Nuthatch, and Purple Finch.
New for this year’s “hawk watch area” species list was Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker, Great Egret, Blue-headed Vireo, Pine Warbler, and Yellow-rumped
Warbler. [119 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Common Nighthawk, Great Egret, Barred Owl, RAVEN, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker,
Blue-headed Vireo, Black-and-white Warbler, American Redstart, Magnolia
Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler, Black-throated Blue
Warbler, Palm Warbler, Pine Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Black-throated
Green Warbler, Scarlet Tanager, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Red-breasted
Nuthatch, and Purple Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (13): Monarch - 55, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Variegated Fritillary, Eastern Comma, Painted Lady. Dragonflies
(3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (5): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel,
White-tailed Deer, Meadow Vole, Woodchuck.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 7.48 steps: 17,547 floors: 19.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 70; this season: 119
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (5):”
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Great Egret, Blue-headed Vireo, Pine Warbler, and
Yellow-rumped Warbler.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like winds are wrong - otherwise ok.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek