Date: 10/1/18 2:09 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Common Birds in Strange Places Story Contest
Yes I saw a Rock Wren in my Coos Bay driveway as I was leaving for work-it
then flew into the neighbors wooded backyard. I thought that was the last
of it but when I got home that afternoon it was sitting on my neighbors
back porch singing. I have video!

I too have seen nuthatches on top of Steens- more than one year.

Merry migration,
Tim R
Coos Bay

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 12:09 PM Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:

> No one can one-up the Tattler in my opinion. Thanks for the photo. I do
> recall a Rock
> Wren in a driveway, reported to OBOL some years ago.
>
> As to nuthatches, I was once standing at the top of Steen's Mountain
> looking east, down at a flock
> in flight of what I first took for Starlings(!). Of course they were
> Black Rosy Finches.
>
> Horizontally (9700') from the NE, barely visible off at a distance, a
> small bird was approaching. It landed
> almost at my feet and walked/hopped over a boulder. It was a Red-breasted
> Nuthatch.
>
> Bob OBrien
>

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 5:37 PM Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
> wrote:
>
>> I saw a Red-breasted Nuthatch fly across the road in pure sagebrush near
>> Brothers once.
>>
>> Here’s the tattler in Mitch Ratzlaff’s driveway in Dallas.
>>

>> Alan Contreras
>> <acontrer56...>
>> Eugene, Oregon
>>
>> www.alanlcontreras.com
>>

>> On Sep 19, 2018, at 5:30 PM, James Billstine <billstinj...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> With all of the wonderful rarities people have been reporting I was
>> wondering about reports people have of common birds in rare places. A month
>> or so ago someone mentioned a Wandering Tattler in a driveway in the
>> valley.
>>
>> My own best is a White-Breasted Nuthatch in a flock of red-breasted
>> nuthatches at 5K+ feet in the high cascades of Douglas County in a
>> lodgepole pine forest.
>>
>> Can anyone top mine? How about the tattler? Let me and others know!
>>

>> James
>>
>> --
>> James Billstine
>>
>> http://wingsaroundtheumpqua.blogspot.com/