Date: 10/1/18 8:08 am
From: Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...>
Subject: [obol] Re: First Gr. White-fronted Geese of the Season
Very interesting! About 10 years after your observations I spent several falls deer hunting in the Burnt Woods / Harland Road Area. On several clears days I observed Canada and cackling geese streaming over the coast range from the NE to the SW and they appeared to be coming from the direction of Siletz River drainage and passing into the Willamette Valley north of Mary’s Peak in the general location you described. From the Oregon coast Mary’s Peak towers over surrounding mountains and would serve as a good landmark.

Roy

Sent from my iPad

> On Oct 1, 2018, at 6:38 AM, Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...> wrote:
>
> It's intriguing that they probably refer to local landmarks. I spent a lot of time in the woods ne of Mary's Peak 1980-83. A flock of GWFG used the gap between Woods Creek and Scheele Creek, spring and fall. The weather was not inclement, but they flew quite low, under 2000 feet.lpn
>
>> On Sun, Sep 30, 2018, 7:54 PM Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...> wrote:
>> Around noon today I heard a flock of greater white-fronted geese at my house at the south end or Eckman Lake bear Waldport. I eventually saw the flock of about 45 birds as they flew past headed NNE. I watched as they flew out over Alsea Bay then turned and headed east upriver. I have always assume that north bound flocks of geese at this time of year we’re simply getting bearings or recognizing landmarks before continuing SE.
>>
>> Roy
>>
>>> On Sep 30, 2018, at 8:42 AM, Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...> wrote:
>>>
>>> They all fly south southeast this time of year for observers in nw Oregon. A reversal just shy of Willamette Pass is plausible. But 100 miles further north? I guess there were thunderstorms east of Finley yesterday, not sure if it was late afternoon.

Join us on Facebook!