Date: 9/30/18 12:52 pm
From: bob augustine <augustinebob8...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Broad-wing movements. More Blue Jays coming.
For Don Simonson: There have been larger counts in the east. Just a few days ago (Sept. 22) birders at Cromwell Valley tried out an alternate site 8 miles east at Mount Vista G.C. and had 4700, while CVP itself had 1707.

Can you be more precise about where Broad-wings crossed the Potomac than a corridor 3.7 miles wide? Studies in the past have shown they don't always cross in the same place: sometimes 7 miles downstream at Great Falls and over Rockville. We'd really like to find a way to predict where these kettles will pass, but so far it has proven impossible. Everyone interested should read a 1984 book called Hawks At My Wingtip by Bill Welch which details studies done with aircraft in Connecticut. (Don: You'll probably want your own copy, but if you can't find one, I'll lend you mine--if you give me your address I'll drop it off next time I'm on Seneca Road.)

Reports from N of us indicate there are still many more Blue Jays heading our way.

Three Cape May Warblers at the Hughes Hollow parking lot yesterday--same as last year.

Bob Augustine
Rockville