Date: 9/29/18 1:51 pm
From: Susan Treesh <sktreesh...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Sandy Hook 9-29-18
Jerseybirders, I thought today was the best fall migration day so far -
and happily it was on a weekend.  Sandy Hook hosted a large number of
birders, and I'm sure collectively there was an impressive count.
NORTHERN PARULA and BLACKPOLL were probably birds of the day in sheer
numbers, but there were also major movements of NORTHERN FLICKER,
RED-EYED VIREO, and the largest number of YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOOS I've
seen - 8 at least, and more likely a dozen or more.  Every patch of
woods with tall trees held one or two.

FOS birds for me included YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER (3), a JUNCO, and a
NORTHERN CREEPER (3).

Warbler species seen by my group (collectively, not all by me):
OVENBIRD, NO. WATERTHRUSH, BLACK-AND-WHITE, TENNESSEE, NASHVILLE, COMMON
YELLOWTHROAT, AMERICAN REDSTART, CAPE MAY, NO. PARULA, MAGNOLIA,
CHESTNUT-SIDED, BLACKPOLL, BLACK-THROATED BLUE, PALM, YELLOW-RUMPED,
PRAIRIE, BLACK-THROATED GREEN, WILSON'S, AND CONNECTICUT.  I'd be
interested if other individuals or groups added more.   I understand
that a couple more Connecticuts were banded at the banding station, and
I think they were scattered all over the northern part of the Hook.
Besides the impressive numbers of red-eyed vireos, there was also at
least one PHILADELPHIA VIREO.

The mosquito situation remains quite bad, and anyone birding there needs
to be prepared.

I hope other birders present can add to today's count.

Susan Treesh
Somerset

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>