Date: 9/28/18 1:29 pm
From: Tom & Allison Michel <tamickel...>
Subject: [obol] Re: flickers
OBOL,
Hybrid flickers aren’t only seen in migration or during the winter. I’ve found hybrids during the breeding season in the Eugene area a couple times over the last few years - at Mt Pisgah and SE Eugene. So, now I don’t put Red-shafted into eBird any time of the year unless I get a good look at the bird.
Tom Mickel
Eugene

> On Sep 28, 2018, at 11:40 AM, Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> wrote:
>
> For those who are interested in (a) migratory movements and/or (b) hybrids and intergrades, note that the next three weeks we are in flicker season.
>
> Early October brings a steady flow of flickers through eastern Oregon, with some small groups reaching the outer coast. The first week of October is a good time to see yellow-shafts and miscellaneous intergrades.
>
> They can appear in odd locations. I once saw one on the rocks at the East Rim Overlook at Steens Mountain. Another time an apparent family group of four intergrades was at the mouth of the Sixes River. I once saw nine flickers on one small snag at Benson Pond at Malheur in early Oct.
>
> Fall birding in Oregon is a glorious thing.
>

> Alan Contreras
> <acontrer56...>
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> www.alanlcontreras.com