Date: 9/24/18 9:02 pm
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: [boo] Re: Re: Re: Not a birder anymore
Isn’t this sort of like defending one’s sexual orientation or choice of spirituality. Joel owes no one any explanation for how he chooses to enjoy birds or engage with or not engage with others who may look at them in a different way. We talk about this ”big tent,” but if you think about it most birders/birdwatchers engage in this pastime either by themselves or in the company of a few close friends. Each of us makes our unique choices about what and how we want to explore. Hand wringing about someone evolving in a way that makes this forum no longer relevant in their lives is not going to change Joel’s or anyone else’s choice.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 24, 2018, at 8:22 PM, Frank Kolwicz <fhkolwicz1...> wrote:
>
> "Bird Watching" is what a non-listing, non-twitching, interest in birds was called when I first got hooked back in the '70s in Connecticut. Those who chased rarities to fill out their lists were called "birders", a subset of bird watchers, not the big tent.
>
> Some time, when I wasn't looking, "bird watcher" became a pejorative, much as "amateur" did in other sports. And it did indeed become a sport, complete with competitions, hierarchies, ins and outs, not to mention braggadoccio. Not to mention bragging about harassing a specimen repeatedly in order to get that all-important check mark.
>
> As a perrennial "out", worse yet a photographer, I've met a lot of nice people who consider themselves birders, apparently. Ones who don't even seem to care that I've mis-called a Red-breasted a Yellow-belly or a Snipe a Woodcock, but, then, they probably aren't real birders.
>
> Frank
> in Monmouth
>
>> On 9/24/2018 6:21 PM, Joel Geier wrote:
>> Jay and all,
>> I don't really have time to respond in full because I have other involvements at the moment. I'm getting a lot of e-mails and even one phone call today, most of them supportive but some who want to argue with me, on grounds similar to what you've laid out below.
>> The big-tent idea is great but I think all of us who've been in birding circles know what it means when a birder says, "So-and-so isn't really a birder." We know which kind of accomplishments get celebrated and held up as examples that others should aspire to.
>> There are other words for all of these other activities that you see as part of birding. Naturalist. Hiker. Explorer. Amateur ornithologist. Mentor. Teacher. Student. Conservationist.
>> I always thought "birdwatcher" was a pretty good word for what I like to do, in relation to birds. It's a good word that's been around for a long time.
>> But a few decades ago some people coined (or adapted) the word "birder" for what they saw as a more active and, dare I say, more macho pursuit. Birdwatchers were eccentric, usually older people with funny hats who belonged to "societies." Birders were (usually) guys willing to jog up trails before dawn with headlamps and drive fast all day so they could set a "Big Day" record. That's all fine, it's just not something that I identify with or even want to be identified with.
> [...]
<Iʋ-Wyb(N ӑABi0zX+bnNڭb0yb(ڭbnB{Zr٨uڶnf׫j+zX+

Join us on Facebook!