Date: 9/24/18 12:28 pm
From: plm108 <plm108...>
Subject: Re: [GABO-L] Bartow Bonanza - 23SEP2018
Michael Linz and I were returning to Georgia last night when we saw Shannon's report below. Wowza (officially a Scrabble word now, according to Miriam Webster)! So, although there were/are plenty of chores needing to be done around the house, we decided to brave the traffic and head to Bartow County today. We missed a few of the magic birds Shannon and Iris saw (Baird's and Buff-breasted) but got super looks at the AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER, 2 SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, 2 WESTERN SANDPIPERS, and found a single SANDERLING in lingering breeding plumage. All seen on what I call the "Teal Pond," the cattle pond on the east side of Taff Rd. About 30 minutes later, Mark Beebe and then Patrick Brisse showed up but the only magic birds remaining were the Western Sandpapers and the Semipalmated Plovers. (Yes, they're all great to see but the magic birds are those that cause some of us to drive through Atlanta traffic to see them.)

Happy Birding All.
Patty McLean, Tucker GA

-------- Original message --------From: Shannon Fair <shannonmfair...> Date: 9/23/18 7:10 PM (GMT-05:00) To: <GABO-L...> Subject: [GABO-L] Bartow Bonanza - 23SEP2018
Hi GABO-ers —

Iris Schumacher and I decided to hit some of the Bartow County hotspots this afternoon after leaving Carter’s Lake in the morning (pretty good birds there too).

Once we made it to Caryersville, we found an unexpected WILLET at Etowah Indian Mounds Sod Farm, but NBK (nothing but killdeer) otherwise.

From there, we headed to Brandon Farm and Taff Roads and hit the jackpot, including some probable continuing birds.  We had a BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER, AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER, STILT SANDPIPER, BAIRD’S SANDPIPER, plus a SEMIPALMATED PLOVER and SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS.  Every once and a while, these birds would come out into the open, but the BBSA and AMGP preferred to stay hidden in unviewable areas of the pond or taller grasses.

I’ll post all of our ebird checklists later tonight with photos.

Happy Fall Birding!

Shannon Fair
Atlanta, Fulton County
(*)>