Date: 9/23/18 12:05 pm
From: J Hayes <balgryph...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Not a birder anymore
Joel and others,

I would prefer a 'big tent' definition of what is a birder. If you are
paying attention to seasonal occurrences of birds, habitat preferences of
birds, abundance of birds, nesting success of birds, etc. etc. you are a
birder. One does not have to be a chaser/twitcher to be a birder.

On a semi related note, I had a FOS RUBY-CROWNED Kinglet here in
Southeast Portland yesterday afternoon (9/22).

Jeff Hayes

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018, 10:55 AM Joel Geier <joel.geier...> wrote:

> Thanks Mark but no, it's not even a hobby for me at this stage.
>
> To me a hobby implies something that you're putting time into for its own
> sake. "Avid" birders are hobbyists who happen to be highly focused on their
> hobby.
>
> To clarify, I still plan to volunteer on BBS routes as a long-term project
> that seems worthwhile for monitoring birds and their conservation status.
> I'll keep doing CBCs for the same reason, plus I like visiting those places
> and seeing the people who show up as volunteers, year after year.
>
> But as the years go by, I've found it harder and harder to identify with
> hobbyists who can always find time to dash out to the local sewage ponds if
> someone sees a bird that they "need" for their county year list, but never
> seem to have time to help on habitat restoration. Or folks who can point
> their scopes at birds right outside a prison fence without doing anything
> to help those inside.
>
> People are of course entitled to pursue their favorite hobby, whether it's
> collecting stamps, building model railroads in your basement, or traveling
> hundreds of miles to add one more species to your life list. To each their
> own. This is a birding list and obviously there are a lot of people here
> who are avid about birding, in varying degrees. I just wish there was
> something similar for people who are avid about bird conservation.
>
> On Sun, 2018-09-23 at 06:06 -0700, Braz wrote:
>

> I would proffer that you are now a hobby birder, no longer an avid birder.
>

> But I've been wrong before.
>

> Mark Brazelton
>
> Hobby Birder
>
> Medford, Oregon
>

> On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 10:00 PM Joel Geier <joel.geier...> wrote:
>
> Friends,
>
> It's been a good ride for the past twenty years or so. I thank you for
> the many things that I've learned along the way.
>
> But I've reached the point where I no longer really care if someone
> finds a Louisiana Waterthrush or whatever in Benton County. It's not
> really meaningful even if it's real. It's just another stray bird that
> doesn't represent real conservation issues.
>
> So no, I'm not a birder anymore. Please forgive me for that.
>
> If you want to talk about bird conservation, I'm still here, and I'm
> listening.

Join us on Facebook!