Date: 9/23/18 4:50 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Raccoon Ridge (22 Sep 2018) 1140 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 2 12 12

Total: 1140 8013 8080

Observation start time: 07:45:00
Observation end time: 18:00:00
Total observation time: 10.25 hours

Official Counter: Jim Thomson

Observers: Brian Butler, Phil Rodriguez, Scott Wood, Tom Campbell

Visitors:
Harold Deal,Jeff Meitrott, Noel Rickert- Hope the Triple Header was a
success!
Daniel from Chimney Rock
Frank Merentino

SOBO: Marcus- Good luck the rest of the way !

Hikers- 34

Weather:
Temp 59-63deg.F Wind N/NW@ 7-12mph w/ gusts to 22mph
Mostly cloudy from start to finish with winds diminishing late in the day.

Raptor Observations:
BE- 8:40I, 8:50A, 9:32I, 9:35A, 9:55I, (2)10:26A, 10:49I, 10:59A, 3:50A,
3:51I, 4:20A, 4:25A, 4:29I, 4:31I

PG- 9:11A, 9:37A, 1:02A, 1:03UA, 3:32I, 3:55A, 4:40A

Great day of hawking with continuous action from start to finish.
Lot's of great help with spotting today and we needed it to find the
distant
lines of Broadwings moving quickly thru cloud cover and zipping right along
in the windy conditions. Nice Bald Eagle and Peregrine movement as well.
Bird of the Day honors goes to the immature Redtail that popped up from
below us clutching what appeared to be a rodent. It faced into the wind
and
started eating on the wing. It tore off a larger piece of meat which it
dropped
and than caught in mid-air and continued with it's meal. all the while
hovering
maybe 50 feet above us. This went on for 5-7 minutes !! Awesome stuff !!
Many thanks to our normal count crew as well as Frank Merentino for their
efforts today !

Non-raptor Observations:
Red-headed Woodpecker ( adult )
Loon
Ravens- 37 passed in single file in early am right along the ridge on river
side.
Common Nighthawk
Monarch- 423 !!
Hummers- 2
Buckmoths
TV's & BV's
Blue Jays & Cedar Waxwings
Report submitted by Jim Thomson (<hawkinflight...>)

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=339

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi