Date: 9/18/18 3:09 pm
From: Laura B. Berlik <lberlik...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] JERSEYBI Digest - 16 Sep 2018 to 17 Sep 2018 (#2018-240)
Wishing you both success tomorrow!!
♡♥♡ Laura

On Sep 18, 2018, at 12:00 AM, JERSEYBI automatic digest system <listserv...> wrote:

Topics of the day:

1. Two PowerPoint Presentations:
2. Raccoon Ridge (15 Sep 2018) 4697 Raptors
3. Pete Bacinski at Washington Crossing Audubon program meeting tonight!
4. Raccoon Ridge (16 Sep 2018) 1078 Raptors
5. Heislerville - shorebird pool

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 07:01:37 -0400
From: Pete Bacinski <petebacinski...>
Subject: Two PowerPoint Presentations:

Dear JerseyBirders:

I am presenting a couple of programs one today and one on Wednesday and
would love you to come and join me.

My Colonial Water Birds program tonight has awesome images of our great
coastal nesting birds with lots of facts you may have never known about
these avian gems.

Wednesday, I offer my newest program, one on woodpeckers with all 22 North
American species discussed. A program I diligently researched with emphasis
on our seven NJ birds. Many great woodpecker questions are answered here.
Even non-birders love woodpeckers. Come see for yourself and realize your
fascination.

Here is the schedule:

Monday, September 17: Washington Crossing Audubon in Pennington NJ at the
Pennington School.

COLONIAL WATER BIRDS-OUR COASTAL GEMS

This program offers a look at New Jersey's colonial nesting herons, egrets,
terns and gulls and state rarities featuring images taken by some of
America's premier nature photographers. I will also include some of my
favorite stories of personal encounters with these glorious birds. Get
acquainted with this marvelous group of birds in their finest attire
(breeding) and learn about their way of life right here in the Garden State

Admission is free with all welcome with refreshments at 7:30 p.m. and the
program at 8:00 p.m. in Stainton Hall.

Wednesday, September 19: Bergen County Audubon in Teaneck at the Teaneck
Creek Conservancy

OUR FASCINATION WITH WOODPECKERS

Birders and non-birders alike are fascinated by the sight of a woodpecker.
There are 22 species of woodpeckers in North America and we will touch on
all of those with special attention to woodpeckers found here in New Jersey.
We will discuss behavior, identification, distribution, abundance and some
of my personal stories as well as interesting and little-known facts that
will make us appreciate this amazing group of birds even more.

Admission is free with all welcome with a meeting at 7:30 p.m. and the
program at 8:00 p.m. Location is very near a NJ Turnpike exit for easy
accessibility.

I look forward to seeing you at one of the above.

Sincerely,

Pete Bacinski.

Naturalist Emeritus

Pete Bacinski

Naturalist Emeritus

Embrace Conservation

Aspire to Excellence

Smile and Say Thank You

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 03:36:43 -0800
From: "Hawkcount.Org Reports" <reports...>
Subject: Raccoon Ridge (15 Sep 2018) 4697 Raptors

Raccoon Ridge
Blairstown, New Jersey, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 15, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 22 56 66
Bald Eagle 21 24 37
Northern Harrier 0 4 4
Sharp-shinned Hawk 22 23 26
Cooper's Hawk 0 1 3
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 1 2 4
Broad-winged Hawk 4613 4639 4674
Red-tailed Hawk 4 5 5
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 4 10 12
Merlin 5 8 8
Peregrine Falcon 4 5 5
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 1 6 6

Total: 4697 4783 4850

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 18:00:00
Total observation time: 10 hours

Official Counter: Jim Thomson

Observers: Al Ambler, Brian Butler, Jack McCormack, Phil Rodriguez

Visitors:
Many thanks to Jack, Brian, Phil, Al, and Jackie for their awesome spotting
efforts today !
It was all hands on deck !!!
Great to see Al and Jackie Ambler today!
Welcome to Adam Byrd who couldn't have picked a better day for his first
visit to Coon!
SOBO's- Green Machine,Cool Boy, Tinkerbell
Ravens,TV's, BV's
Monarch- 19, Hummers- 2

Weather:
Temps- 67-77deg.F Wind N@ 1-3mph in am. Light and
variable in pm. Mostly cloudy in am to partly cloudy in pm.

Raptor Observations:
BE- 10:36I,11:57A,12:02A,12:25A,1:33A,2:47A,(2)2:50A,
3:02I,(2)3:07A,3:08I,(2)3:10A,3:17A,3:30A,3:35A,3:46A,
3:54I,4:07I,4:40A

PG- 10:22I,11:36UA,1:15UA,4:30UA

Non-raptor Observations:
The "WOW FACTOR" on Coon was off the charts today with
thousands of Broadwings passing directly over the watch site and spilling
down both sides of the ridge thrilling
visitors and seasoned hawk watchers alike ! Incredible
action between 2:00pm-3:00pm with 2268-BW, 6-OS, 11-BE,
3-SS, 5-ML, 1-PG Yeah... we were busy up there !!!
Bird of the Day honors goes to the feisty Merlin that
made numerous passes at the owl decoy..vocalizing the entire time !!
Report submitted by Jim Thomson (<hawkinflight...>)

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=339

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 08:39:53 -0400
From: J Hummel <juanita.hummel...>
Subject: Pete Bacinski at Washington Crossing Audubon program meeting tonight!

Dear Jersey Birders:
Please join us tonight to hear one of our favorite speakers! Doors open at
7:30 for refreshments and socialization before the program.

*Monday, September 17, 2018, 8:00 pm at Stainton Lecture Hall, The
Pennington School, 112 W. Delaware Ave, Pennington NJ *

*PETER BACINSKI: COLONIAL NESTING BIRDS--OUR COASTAL GEMS*

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 08:10:37 -0800
From: "Hawkcount.Org Reports" <reports...>
Subject: Raccoon Ridge (16 Sep 2018) 1078 Raptors

Raccoon Ridge
Blairstown, New Jersey, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 16, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 5 61 71
Bald Eagle 7 31 44
Northern Harrier 0 4 4
Sharp-shinned Hawk 34 57 60
Cooper's Hawk 2 3 5
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 2 4
Broad-winged Hawk 1004 5643 5678
Red-tailed Hawk 2 7 7
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 17 27 29
Merlin 2 10 10
Peregrine Falcon 3 8 8
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 2 8 8

Total: 1078 5861 5928

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 18:00:00
Total observation time: 10 hours

Official Counter: Jim Thomson

Observers: Brian Hardiman, Jack McCormack, Phil Rodriguez,
Tom Campbell

Visitors:
Denise & Nikki Thomson. Bruce Asbjorn(visiting from AZ),
Megan,Andy and little Melody Fedor.
Sara Hart- Welcome back to the ridge !
Tom Justesen (from Montclair Hawkwatch)
Additonal observer Scott Wood
SOBO's- Macgyver, Bern
Hikers- 10

Weather:
Temp- 67-84deg.F Wind- 2-7mph. Started out N/NW in the am switching to SW
in the pm. Clear Blue skies with a few
patchy clouds.

Raptor Observations:
BE- 9:05I,9:47I,11:10A,11:22A,1:30I,1:33A,3:17I

PG- 12:15UA,12:30UA, 4:08A

Bird(s) of the Day honors go to the 3 late afternoon
Broadwings that all came in to attack the owl decoy!
Gotta' love it !!
Nice BW day to follow up our big day from the 15th.

Non-raptor Observations:
Black Phase Timber Rattler
Yellow Phase Timber Rattler ( seen by Denise T)
Blk Throated Blue Warbler,YR Warbler,Palm Warbler
RB Nuthatches,Blue Jays, Chimney Swifts
Hummers- 6
Monarch- 44
BV's,TV's, Ravens
Report submitted by Jim Thomson (<hawkinflight...>)

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=339

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 17:23:36 -0400
From: Sandra Keller <sandrakeller...>
Subject: Heislerville - shorebird pool

Might actually be coming down water wise. I was there today and it was low. Edges exposed and 2 mud flat areas.
It might take awhile as it has to drain and/or evaporate. Keep you fingers crossed! I hope it will be down for awhile,
not a clue why it is being drawn down. It might be set for a certain level in the impoundment. Water was flowing out
at low tide when I arrived. And no water was going back in when Brian checked after work. High tide in the area then.

I had WR Sandpipers this morning. I am still HUGO less.

Bivalve - High St. was good also. Lots of shorebirds til a Merlin made a pass! Tide was coming in, the birds would
have left shortly anyway.

Ovenbirds around. So migrants around, I could use some flycatchers.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller
<sandrakeller...>

Sent from my Imac