Date: 9/13/18 6:25 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (13 Sep 2018) 3 Raptors

Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 16:54:05 -0800
From: <reports...>
Subject: Wachusett Mountain (13 Sep 2018) 3 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 2 20 20

Total: 3 287 388

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 14:30:00
Total observation time: 2.5 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: Chris Eddy, Colleen Tank, Dave Brown, Tom Gottschang

Visitors:
Observers: Rod Chase, Dave Brown, Judy and Dave
McGuane, Chris Eddy, Tom Gottschang joined mid-morning
and Jared Keyes with camera roaming in the bushes.

Colleen Tank did the afternoon 1.5 hr. PM shift and found
all the noted raptors in this report. Thanks Colleen!

Weather:
Temp. 60F/15.5C at 8am start. Visibility in fog only
200 yards at the North Lookout where I started. Only
wind was a 1 mph downdraft flowing down from the
summit. Humidity 100%, barometer 30.34.
At 8:45 I went to summit (The Ledges site was no
better) and joined rest of the 'crazies' on the tower.
Nothing different except there was a 5mph/8kpm breeze
from the East. Stories were rich and the laughter was
loud. We finally saw the dim outline of he sun thru
the fog and clouds. Later this turned out to be a
teaser as the cloud deck lowered again and visibility
dropped backto 100 yds.
Half the crew left around 10 and the rest by 10:30.
weather was the same except the temp. jumped up to
61F/16C.

Note Colleen Tank came and left at 8am but did return
when it looked brighter from her home. Summit still a
"no go" but 1/2 mi. view at Oxbow overlook.
>From 12:30 to 2:30: temp 63F/17C and the ENE breeze was
5mph/8kpm. Humidity 96%, barometer 30.32.

Raptor Observations:
Migrants BE 1, adult. 2 UR - too much in the haze for ID.

##Note## NO COUNT FROM 11:30AM TO 2PM.
ALL MIGRANTS BY Colleen Tank between 2 - 3:30PM
Local TV's: a bunch.(6 or so).

Non-raptor Observations:
Monarch 1.

The only local birds seen were by photographer Jared
Keyes who found at least 9 including 7 warbler species.

By ear the Blue Jays, Juncos and Towhees were nearby.
I saw one large porcupine descending below The Ledges
overlook at 8:40.

Predictions:
Friday: Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, partly sunny,
a high near 76. Northeast wind 3 to 5 mph.

(Sat.: Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, mostly sunny,
with a high near 78. Calm wind.)
[Sun.: Sunny, with a high near 80.]

Let's get some movement this weekend!
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!