Date: 9/12/18 7:27 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (12 Sep 2018) 3 Raptors

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 15:15:39 -0800
From: <reports...>
Subject: Wachusett Mountain (12 Sep 2018) 3 Raptors

Observation end time: 10:00:00
Total observation time: 1.33 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: Ted Mara

Visitors:
Observers: Ted Mara, Rod Chase.
Visitors: " "

Weather:
Temp 64F/18C Watch 2 hrs. (8-10am EST) Total: 3 raptors

Summit totally fogged in and not a hint of a breeze. OK -maybe
0-1mph/0-1.6kph from NE. Visibility under
300 yards/0.3K .
Drove down to meet Ted at West Overlook where he'd been for 45 minutes.
Also poor visibility and steady drizzle to light rain.
He remained and I went to the down x up road overlook and also walked up
to view down the nearby ski slopes.
Conditions similar to Ted's spot: drizzle, no wind and
visibility 200 yds (maybe 300 if a large bird went by?)

Raptor Observations:
Finally, at 9:30 a breeze suddenly picked up from east. I was back at the
overlook and heard-then-felt an updraft of 5-8mph/8-13 with a few gusts to
12m/19k or so. Front coming in?
Well, not for 15 minutes as it turned out. But: after
10 minutes a male and female kestrel went by at eye level and about 50 yds
out. As they were disappearing south a single sharpie followed the same
route but a bit higher.
Kestrels flapped most of the way across and sharpie was adhering to her
"flap, flap and glide" routine. An
updraft gust and one longer glide nearly doubled her height.
Next: (did I mention?) the weatherfront was in and the
downpours commenced. Ted pulled in beside me, we compared notes and agreed
it was time to go.

Non-raptor Observations:
Did hear some Jays and Towhees. No one flying.

Predictions:
Showers and thunderstorms likely before 2pm, then a
slight chance of showers. Some of the storms could
produce heavy rain. Areas of fog before noon. Otherwise,
cloudy, with a high near 74. Northeast wind 3 to 5 mph.
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!