Date: 9/12/18 12:57 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Joppa Park Boat Ramp & Plum Island (Parker River NWR) - 09-12-2018
David Larson and I led today's edition of Wednesday Morning Birding out
of Joppa Flats Education Center, first to the boat ramp at Joppa Park
and then on to Parker River Refuge on Plum Island.  The skies were
overcast with some mist early on; temps in the upper 60s; and winds
NE/0-5 mph.  The tide had risen enough from the 08:39 a.m. low to cover
most of the mud flats by the time we arrived on the boat ramp.  So,
there were next to zero shorebirds, but many gulls and two rather
special terns . . . .

Our list:

Joppa Park boat ramp --
Mallard
Double-crested Cormorant - a few.
Great Blue Heron (3)
Turkey Vulture (1)
Black-bellied Plover (1)
Greater Yellowlegs (1)
Bonaparte's Gull (1)
Ring-billed Gull - many.
Herring Gull - many.
Great Black-backed Gull (3)
CASPIAN TERN (2)

Plum Island (Parker River NWR) --
American Black Duck (~ 10) - mostly Bill Forward Pool.
Mallard - common; mostly BFP.
Green-winged Teal (~ 30) - BFP.
Wild Turkey (~ 8) - roadside across fm lot #1.
Double-crested Cormorant (~ 125+) - ~ 25, BFP; ~ 100+, migrating flock
over BFP.
Great Blue Heron (2) - 1, BFP; 1, marsh w. BFP.
Great Egret (~ 20) - various.
Snow Egret (5) - BFP.
Osprey (1) - atop Pines nesting platform.
[Northern Harrier (1) - over marsh, s. mainland side of PI bridge.]
Northern Harrier (1) - juv., hunting over BFP dike.
Black-bellied Plover (~ 100) - BFP.
Semipalmated Plover - common, BFP.
Killdeer (3) - BFP.
Spotted Sandpiper (1) - BFP, near Hellcat dike.
Greater Yellowlegs (~ 50) - BFP & N. Pool fm Hellcat dike.
Lesser Yellowlegs (3) - N. Pool fm Hellcat dike.
HUDSONIAN GODWIT (1) - s. end BFP among Black-bellied Plovers.
MARBLED GODWIT (1) - s. end BFP among Black-bellied Plovers; both
godwits at one point within same scope view. (Apologies for the less
than definitive initial posting for both godwits -- should have said one
of each species!)
Semipalmated Sandpiper - common; BFP.
Least Sandpiper (~ 10) - BFP.
White-rumped Sandpiper (5) -BFP.
Baird's Sandpiper (2) - BFP.
Short-billed Dowitcher (~ 25) - BFP & N. Pool fm Hellcat dike.
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Peregrine Falcon (1) - ad; first seen perched just w. of hunting shack
n. refuge entrance & then atop dead birch near BFP blind.
American Crow (3)
Tree Swallow (~ 12) - North Pool Overlook.
Barn Swallow (3) - NPO.
Northern Mockingbird (1) - NPO.
Cedar Waxwing (1)
Song Sparrow (2) - Hellcat dike.

We will meet again next week back at Joppa Flats at 0930 for Wednesday
Morning Birding. For more information about Joppa Flats programs, call
David Moon or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

Join us on Facebook!