Date: 9/9/18 3:01 am
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (08 Sep 2018) 13 Raptors

Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2018 20:45:30 -0800
From: <reports...>
Subject: Wachusett Mountain (08 Sep 2018) 13 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 3 3

Total: 13 99 200

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 13:30:00
Total observation time: 5 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: Bill LaFleche, Bill Rasku, Chris Eddy, Doug Wipf, Joe Drega

Visitors:
Watch opened by Bill Rasku and Bill LaFleche; Doug Wipf
joined @ 9, Joe Drega 9:30, Chris Eddy, Christine
Restell and myself at 10am.
Also up for a visit were Mary and Bill Caulway who came
last year in late September ... but are psyched to try
to witness a bigger push this year. We're all "down with
that wish!"

Weather:
Wind 5-10mph/8-16kph but faded to 0-5m/0-8k by 10am and
from noon on was mostly 0.
Direction NE at start and N from 10am until end.
Temps 59F/15C until 11am, then 61/16 at 11am and 64F/18C
after noon.
Cloud over 95% to start but from 10am on was 100%.
Visibility was 5mi/8k at start and at 10am was 10mi/16km
for rest of the watch.

Raptor Observations:
Migrants: OS 1; SS 1; BW 9; AK 2. total: 9 in 5 hours.
[One AK and the SS perched on 2 diff. towers, then
switched places until the sharpie drove the kestrel off
it's spot and both headed SW separately.]

Locals: ML 1; BE 2 (together @ 11:55, 1 ad. & 1 juv.);
and OS 1 who moved a long way but then down to Wach.
reservoir.

Non-raptor Observations:
Monarchs 3.
4 Common Ravens, 4 Nighthawks, 1 Flicker, several Juncos.
Nuthatches and Titmice and the flyover of the day:
1 Brown Bat!

Predictions:
Watch opened by Bill Rasku and Bill LaFleche; Doug Wipf
joined @ 9, Joe Drega 9:30, Chris Eddy, Christine
Restell and myself at 10am.
Also up for a visit were Mary and Bill Caulway who came
last year in late September ... but are psyched to try
to witness a bigger push this year. We're all "down with
that wish!"
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!